Practical Comparison of Communication Technologies Suitable for Field Robotics
- 326 Downloads
The aim of this paper is to describe development of an evaluation system for practical comparison of wireless communication technologies used in field robotics. The evaluation system is capable of measuring data rate, drop rate and latency in both communication directions. The evaluation system closely simulates communication of a teleoperated field robot with its base station - which is a highly asymmetric communication link, because there is a high data rate video feed transmission from the robot to the base station.
This paper describes specifics of wireless communication links used in field robotics and considerations that need to be taken into account when developing such system. The wireless link evaluation system is described from hardware and software point of view.
KeywordsField robotics Wireless communication technology Evaluation system 802.11 Mobile robot
This work was supported by the European Regional Development Fund under the project Robotics 4 Industry 4.0 (reg. no. CZ.02.1.01/0.0/0.0/15_003/0000470) and the completion of this paper was made possible by the grant No. FEKT-S-17-4234 - “Industry 4.0 in automation and cybernetics” financially supported by the Internal science fund of Brno University of Technology.
- 1.Hybl, M.: Communication in Mobile Robotics. Brno University of Technology, Brno (2019)Google Scholar
- 2.Nejdl, L., et al.: Remote-controlled robotic platform for electrochemical determination of water contaminated by heavy metal ions. Int. J. Electrochem. Sci. 10(4), 3635–3643 (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Zalud, L.: ARGOS - system for heterogeneous mobile robot teleoperation. In: IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 211–216 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Precision Time Protocol. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- 6.API In CPP. https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/API_In_CPP