The European Migrant Crisis: A Case Study in Failure of Governmental and Supra-governmental Responses
- 131 Downloads
One of the main reasons for advocating international integration and, even more precisely, for the creation of supra-state governance structures is the very idea of crisis and crisis management. This chapter explores the case of the migrant crises in European and the European Union’s (EU’s) response. Starting 2015, millions of migrants and refugees crossed into Europe and EU countries have struggled to cope. Tensions and divisions emerged in the EU over how best to deal with this massive resettlement of people. Taking a look at the case, we get a better sense of the role of the states (and state-like structures) not only in solving such crises but also in fueling and maintaining them.
- Archick, K. 2016. The European Union: Current Challenges and Future Prospects. CRS Report R44249. Washington, DC: Congressional Research Service. https://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/R44249.pdf.
- Juchno, P., and M. Agafitei. 2017. Migrant Integration, 2017 Edition. In Eurostat Statistical Books. Luxembourg: Publication Office of the European Union. https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/3217494/8787947/KS-05-17-100-EN-N.pdf/f6c45af2-6c4f-4ca0-b547-d25e6ef9c359.Google Scholar
- Martin, P., and G. Zurcher. 2008. Managing Migration: The Global Challenge. Population Bulletin 63 (1): 3–20.Google Scholar
- Park, J. 2015. Europe’s Migration Crisis. New York: Council on Foreign Relations. https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/europes-migration-crisis.Google Scholar
- Parkins, J. 2010. Push and Pull Factors of Migration. American Review of Political Economy 8 (2): 6–24.Google Scholar
- Storr, N.M., E. Chamlee-Wright, and V.H. Storr. 2015a. How We Came Back: Voices from Post-Katrina New Orleans. Arlington, VA: Mercatus Center at George Mason University.Google Scholar
- Tartar, A. 2017. How the Populist Right Is Redrawing the Map of Europe. Bloomberg, December 11. https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-europe-populist-right/.
- Thomas, A., and J. Marson. 2018. Germany’s Merkel Secures Deal on Migrants, Averts Government Collapse. The Wall Street Journal, July 2. https://www.wsj.com/articles/merkel-faces-showdown-over-migrant-policy-1530539359.