‘Yesterday’s Dreams, Tomorrow’s Promise’: Performing a Pan-ASEAN Archipelagic Identity at Age 50
- 137 Downloads
An analysis of the summit’s principal public performances, namely the Gala Dinner and the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, reflect how a pan-ASEAN identity and politics were imagined and performed in ways that create a virtual, coherent, and regionally constituted archipelago where cultural flows, real and imagined, link states and geographical locations. We interrogate these performances through archipelagic frames to unpack the construction of a pan-ASEAN character and politics. Ultimately, we propose a pan-ASEAN identity seen through the politics and theatre of the summit as an archipelago that extends Southeast Asia to other locations, an identity reflecting the region’s history as a postcolonial intervention and invention of previous imperial forces, while subject to the global forces of neoliberalism.
- Anderson, Benedict. 1991. Imagined Communities. London and New York: Verso.Google Scholar
- Apter, David E. 2006. Politics as Theatre: An Alternative View of the Rationalities of Power. In Social Performance: Symbolic Action, Cultural Pragmatics, and Ritual, ed. Jeffrey Alexander, Bernhard Giesen, and Jason L. Mast, 328–356. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Asean.org. ASEAN Consensus on the Protection and Promotion of the Rights of Migrant Workers. Accessed April 11, 2018. http://asean.org/storage/2017/11/ASEAN-Consensus-on-the-Protection-and-Promotion-of-the-Rights-of-Migrant-Workers1.pdf.
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations. 31st ASEAN Summit Manila. Accessed August 6, 2018. http://asean.org/?static_post=31th-asean-summit-manila-philippines-13-14-november 2017.
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations. ASEAN Economic Community. Accessed August 6, 2018. http://asean.org/asean-economic-community/.
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations. ASEAN Summit. Accessed August 6, 2018. http://asean.org/asean/asean-structure/asean-summit/.
- Ballet Philippines. 1981. Rama Hari. Manila.Google Scholar
- Benitez-Rojo, Antonio, and James Maraniss. 1985. The Repeating Island. New England Review and Bread Loaf Quarterly 7 (4): 430–452.Google Scholar
- Channel 90 seconds. TV Official Channel. 2017. 31st ASEAN Summit Gala Celebration Dinner. YouTube, November 12. Accessed August 6, 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0XvRL-sLVg.
- CTGN. 2017. Live: Closing Ceremony of 2017 ASEAN Summit. YouTube, November 14. Accessed August 7, 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlBnqyoDWe0.
- De Vera, Rodolfo. 1993. Ang Paglalakbay ni Radiya Mangandiri: Isang Pilipinong Ramayana. Manila.Google Scholar
- DeLoughrey, Elizabeth. 2001. “Litany of Island, The Rosary of the Archipelagoes”: Caribbean and Pacific Archipelagraphy. ARIEL: A Review of International English Literature 32 (1): 21–51.Google Scholar
- Duterte News Report. 2017. Wow, Tagumpay [success]! President Duterte and President Trump @ 31st ASEAN Summit Manila Philippines!. YouTube, November 12, Accessed July 6, 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwfmN1501qo.
- Glissant, Edouard, and Pierre Joris. 1999. Introduction to the Poetics of the Diverse. Boundary 2 26 (1): 119–121.Google Scholar
- Lumbera, Bienvenido, and Roy Iglesias. 1999. Rama at Sita. Quezon City.Google Scholar
- mmacaliwanagan. 2006. Idem-dem Malida. YouTube, August 25. Accessed July 8, 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRF6-Vw9Sqg.
- Ness, Sally. 2003. Where Asia Smiles: An Ethnography of Philippine Tourism. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.Google Scholar
- PH News Unfiltered. 2017. ASEAN 2017 Live Musical! Grabe ang Galing ng Pilipino!. YouTube, November 12. Accessed April 15, 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22PaREDrn-k&index=20&list=RDMjNxBsU_4Tk.
- Philippines’ Duterte Sings Love Song for Trump: “You are the light.” 2017. The Guardian, November 13. Accessed July 6, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/13/you-are-the-light-philippines-duterte-sings-love-song-for-trump.
- Pilipinas Updates. 2017. MapapaWow ka sa Galing!!! 31st ASEAN Summit World-Class Performances at the Opening. YouTube, November 12. Accessed July 7, 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjNxBsU_4Tk.
- San Juan, Thelma Sioson. 2015. “FuntaSea” for Apec: PH Takes a Long-Awaited Bow. Philippines Inquirer, May 24. Accessed August 8, 2018. http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/194219/funtasea-for-apec-ph-takes-a-long-awaited-bow/.
- Stratford, Elaine, Godfrey Baldacchino, Elizabeth McMahon, Carol Farbotko, and Andrew Harwood. 2011. Envisioning an Archipelago. Island Studies 6 (2): 113–130.Google Scholar
- Tabago, Evelyn. 2017. Pres. Duterte & Ms. Pilita Corales Duet (Ikaw). YouTube, November 13. Accessed August 7, 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCgqOUhjWBM.
- Yamsuan, Cathy Cañares. 2017. “All about the future”: 600 Pinoy Artists Lead Grand Charm Offensive for Asean Meet. Philippine Daily Inquirer, November 12. Accessed August 2, 2018. http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/278557/future-600-pinoy-artists-lead-grand-charm-offensive-asean-meet/.