Sustainability of Agricultural Systems
- 376 Downloads
Agriculture is a diverse array of production systems that are composed of interconnected physical, biological, and human components, across farm to global scales. Agricultural systems are described in terms of their diversity, that is, different types of systems and their heterogeneity, that is, the variation in the physical, biological, and human components within each type of the system. The diversity and complexity of agricultural systems throughout the world means that a variety of economic, environmental, and social indicators can be used to track and evaluate their performance. We elaborate on the economic rationale for the tradeoff analysis approach to sustainable development. Finally, we discuss the tools—the computer simulation models and data—used to implement the analysis of agricultural system sustainability.
- Andersen, E., A.D. Verhoog, B.S. Elbersen, F.E. Godeschalk, and B. Koole. 2006. A Multidimensional Farming System Typology System for Environmental and Agricultural Modelling. Linking European Science and Society Report no. 12, May 2006. http://www.seamless-ip.org/Reports/Report_12_PD4.4.2.pdf.
- Antle, John, Roshan Adhikari, and Stephanie Price. 2015a. An Income-Based Food Security Indicator for Agricultural Technology Impact Assessment. In Food Security in an Uncertain World: An International Perspective. Bingley, UK: Emerald Insight Publishing.Google Scholar
- Antle, J., S. Homann-Kee Tui, K. Descheemaeker, P. Masikate, and R. Valdivia. 2017a. Using AgMIP Regional Integrated Assessment Methods to Evaluate Climate Impact, Adaptation, Vulnerability and Resilience in Agricultural Systems. In Climate Smart Agriculture—Building Resilience to Climate Change, ed. L. Lipper, N. McCarthy, D. Zilberman, S. Asfaw, and G. Branca. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Antle, J.M., R.O. Valdivia, K.J. Boote, S. Janssen, J.W. Jones, C.H. Porter, C. Rosenzweig, A.C. Ruane, and P.J. Thorburn. 2015b. AgMIP’s Trans-disciplinary Agricultural Systems Approach to Regional Integrated Assessment of Climate Impact, Vulnerability and Adaptation. In Handbook of Climate Change and Agroecosystems: The Agricultural Model Intercomparison and Improvement Project Integrated Crop and Economic Assessments, Part 1, ed. C. Rosenzweig and D. Hillel. London: Imperial College Press.Google Scholar
- Ballard, Terri J., Anne W. Kepple, and Carlo Cafiero. 2013. The Food Insecurity Experience Scale, 61.Google Scholar
- Becker, Gary S. 1992. Nobel Price Lecture. Nobel Media AB 2019. https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/economic-sciences/1992/becker/lecture/.
- Coates, Jennifer, Edward A. Frongillo, A. Swindale, Beatrice Lorge Rogers, P. Webb, and P. Bilinsky. 2006. Advances in Developing Country Food Insecurity Measurement. American Society of Nutrition. http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/pnaeb649.pdf.
- FAO. 2011. The State of the World’s Land and Water Resources for Food and Agriculture (SOLAW)—Managing Systems at Risk. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome and Earthscan, London.Google Scholar
- IPCC. 2019. Climate Change and Land: An IPCC Special Report on Climate Change, Desertification, Land Degradation, Sustainable Land Management, Food Security, and Greenhouse Gas Fluxes in Terrestrial Ecosystems. https://www.ipcc.ch/report/srccl/
- Nemo, S. 2019. G.E.M.S: An Innovative Agroinformatics Data Discovery and Analysis Platform. https://bigdata.cgiar.org/resource/g-e-m-s-an-innovative-agroinformatics-data-discovery-and-analysis-platform/
- Robinson, T.P., P.K. Thornton, G. Franceschini, R.L. Kruska, F. Chiozza, A. Notenbaert, G. Cecchi, et al. 2011. Global Livestock Production Systems. Rome, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), 152 pp.Google Scholar
- Valdivia, R.O., J.M. Antle, C. Rosenzweig, A.C. Ruane, J. Vervoort, M. Ashfaq, I. Hathie, et al. 2015. Representative Agricultural Pathways and Scenarios for Regional Integrated Assessment of Climate Change Impact, Vulnerability and Adaptation. In Handbook of Climate Change and Agroecosystems: The Agricultural Model Intercomparison and Improvement Project Integrated Crop and Economic Assessments, Part 1, ed. C. Rosenzweig and D. Hillel. London: Imperial College Press.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. 2018. Obesity and Overweight. https://www.who.int/en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/obesity-and-overweight.