Vision Based Robust Autonomous Landing of a Quadrotor on a Moving Target
- 578 Downloads
Autonomous landing is the most difficult maneuver in a quadrotor mission because of challenges such as external disturbances and localization error, both of which cause deviation from the desired trajectory and may result in a crash. In this paper, we present a guidance framework that allows a multirotor to land on a moving target accurately. The framework utilizes onboard vision to detect and estimate the landing target parameters. We then analyze the effects of environmental disturbances, and abrupt changes in the motion of the landing target to allow us to investigate them from a computer vision perspective. This will aid in development of a robust autonomous landing strategy for a moving target. We present robustness results through outdoor hardware experiments.
KeywordsAutonomous landing Guidance Computer vision Robustness
– Alvika Gautam is a recipient of TCS PhD research fellowship.
– This work was in part supported by UK GCRF EPSRC grant number EP/P02839X/1.
- 1.Geng, L., Zhang, Y., Wang, J., Fuh, J., Teo, S.: Mission planning of autonomous UAVs for urban surveillance with evolutionary algorithms. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Control and Automation (ICCA), Hangzhou, China, pp. 828–833. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Waharte, S., Trigoni, N.: Supporting search and rescue operations with UAVs. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Emerging Security Technologies, pp. 142–147 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Lee, H., Jung, S., Shim, D.H.: Vision-based UAV landing on the moving vehicle. In: Proceedings of the 2016 International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS), Arlington, VA, USA, pp. 1–7 (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Ling, K.: Precision landing of a quadrotor UAV on a moving target using low-cost sensors. Master’s Thesis, Department of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada (2014). http://hdl.handle.net/10012/8803
- 6.Kong, W., Zhang, D., Wang, X., Xian, Z., Zhang, J.: Autonomous landing of an UAV with a ground-based actuated infrared stereo vision system. In: Proceedings of the 2013 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), Tokyo, Japan, pp. 2963–2970 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Wind data (2017). https://darksky.net