Formal Analysis of Responsibility Attribution in a Multimodal Framework
- 297 Downloads
The present article is devoted to a logical treatment of some fundamental concepts involved in responsibility attribution. We specify a theoretical framework based on a language of temporal deontic logic with agent-relative operators for deliberate causal contribution. The framework is endowed with a procedure to solve normative conflicts which arise from the assessment of different normative sources. We provide a characterization result for a basic system within this framework and illustrate how the concepts formalized can be put at work in the analysis of examples of legal reasoning.
KeywordsMulti-agent deontic logic Legal reasoning Norm interpretation Responsibility
Acknowledgements and Contribution
We are grateful to Olivier Roy, his group, and Timo Lang. Daniela Glavaničová was supported by the Slovak Research and Development Agency under the contract no. APVV-17-0057 and by the grant no. UK/414/2018. Matteo Pascucci was funded by the WWTF project MA16-028. The two authors equally contributed to the contents.
- 1.Alchourrón, C.E., Makinson, D.: Hierarchies of regulations and their logic. In: Hilpinen, R. (ed.) New Studies in Deontic Logic, vol. 152, pp. 125–148. Springer, Dordrecht (1981). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-009-8484-4_5
- 2.Baldoni, M., Baroglio, C., Boissier, O., May, K.M., Micalizio, R., Tedeschi, S.: Accountability and responsibility in agent organizations. In: Miller, T., Oren, N., Sakurai, Y., Noda, I., Savarimuthu, B.T.R., Cao Son, T. (eds.) PRIMA 2018. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 11224, pp. 261–278. Springer, Cham (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-03098-8_16CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Cane, P.: Responsibility in Law and Morality. Hart Publishing, Oxford (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Frege, G.: Über Sinn und Bedeutung. Zeitschrift für Philosophie und philosophische Kritik. 100, 25–50 (1892)Google Scholar
- 12.Giordani, A.: Ability and responsibility in general action logic. In: Broersen, J., Condoravdi, C., Shyam, N., Pigozzi, G. (eds.) DEON 2018, pp. 121–138. College Publications, London (2018)Google Scholar
- 16.Lorini, E., Sartor, G.: Influence and responsibility: a logical analysis. In: JURIX 2015, pp. 51–60 (2015)Google Scholar
- 18.Schane, S.: Ambiguity and misunderstanding in the law. Thomas Jefferson Law Rev. 25, 167–193 (2002)Google Scholar
- 19.Sedlár, I.: Hyperintensional logics for everyone. Synthese, 1–24 (2019)Google Scholar