KnowBots: Discovering Relevant Patterns in Chatbot Dialogues
Chatbots have been used in business contexts as a new way of communicating with customers. They use natural language to interact with the customers, whether while offering products and services, or in the support of a specific task. In this context, an important and challenging task is to assess the effectiveness of the machine-to-human interaction, according to business’ goals. Although several analytic tools have been proposed to analyze the user interactions with chatbot systems, to the best of our knowledge they do not consider user-defined criteria, focusing on metrics of engagement and retention of the system as a whole. For this reason, we propose the KnowBots tool, which can be used to discover relevant patterns in the dialogues of chatbots, by considering specific business goals. Given the non-trivial structure of dialogues and the possibly large number of conversational records, we combined sequential pattern mining and subgroup discovery techniques to identify patterns of usage. Moreover, a friendly user-interface was developed to present the results and to allow their detailed analysis. Thus, it may serve as an alternative decision support tool for business or any entity that makes use of this type of interactions with their clients.
KeywordsChatbot analytics Chatbot analysis Logs analysis Sequence mining Subgroup discovery
- 5.Fournier-Viger, P., Chun, J., Lin, W., Kiran, R.U., Koh, Y.S., Thomas, R.: A survey of sequential pattern mining. Data Sci. Pattern Recogn. 1, 54–77 (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Fournier-Viger, P., Gomariz, A., Campos, M., Thomas, R.: Fast vertical mining of sequential patterns using co-occurrence information. In: Tseng, V.S., Ho, T.B., Zhou, Z.-H., Chen, A.L.P., Kao, H.-Y. (eds.) PAKDD 2014. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 8443, pp. 40–52. Springer, Cham (2014). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-06608-0_4CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Jusoh, S., Al-Fawareh, H.M.: Natural language interface for online sales systems. In: 2007 International Conference on Intelligent and Advanced Systems, pp. 224–228. IEEE (2007). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIAS.2007.4658379
- 15.Shawar, B.A., Atwell, E.: Chatbots: are they really useful? LDV Forum 22(1), 29–49 (2007)Google Scholar
- 17.Toxtli, C., Monroy-Hernández, A., Cranshaw, J.: Understanding chatbot-mediated task management. In: Mandryk, R.L., Hancock, M., Perry, M., Cox, A.L. (eds.) Proceedings of the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, p. 58. ACM (2018). https://doi.org/10.1145/3173574.3173632