Good Natural Resource Governance: How Does the EU Deal with the Contestation of Transparency Standards?
- 320 Downloads
Transparency is an organizing principle of the norm of good governance. The EU has adopted a number of policies to promote this norm as a way to address corruption and cronyism in the natural resource sector of many countries. On the global scale, the EU supports the standards of the Extractive Industry Transparency Initiative. At home, the EU Accounting and Transparency Directives make it for EU companies mandatory to report payments to domestic and foreign authorities for oil, gas and timber extraction rights. This norm has been contested from different sides. China argues that economic development precedes good governance, instead of the other way around. Natural resource-rich countries see global standards as an intrusion of their sovereignty. The extractive industry in Western countries claims that national policies could disadvantage them by creating an uneven playing field. The chapter argues that these contestations remained predominantly soft and did not affect the legitimacy of the organizing principle too much. None of the contesters openly challenged the principle of transparency, but they rather tried to reduce its importance or to change the standardized procedures that came from it. As the EU did not waiver, these efforts have so far not been very successfully.
Martijn C. Vlaskamp thanks the Beatriu de Pinós postdoctoral program of the Government of Catalonia’s Secretariat for Universities and Research (Ministry of Economy and Knowledge) for funding (Grant number: 2017-BP-152). Research was also supported by the EU’s Horizon 2020 Research & Innovation program (grant number 660245). Martijn thanks Carla Perucca for valuable research assistance and Alanna Irving for proofreading this text. The usual attribution of possible faults applies.
- African Union Commission, & European Commission. (2008, October 8). Joint statement of the African Union Commission (AUC) and the European Commission (EC) On the implementation of the Africa-EU Energy Partnership. Retrieved March 14, 2013, from Africa-EU Energy Partnership website: http://www.aeep-conference.org/documents/signed_joint_statement_on_energy_partnership.pdf.
- Benschop, D. (2013, February 18). Opinie artikel in het FD… Graag eerlijk zijn over transparantie. Het Financieele Dagblad. Retrieved from http://www.shell.nl/nld/aboutshell/media-centre/news-and-media-releases/archive/2013/opinion-article-fd-21022013.html.
- Carroll, C. (2012, October 10). API files court challenge against costly, anti-competitive SEC rule. Retrieved March 17, 2013, from American Petroleum Institute website: http://www.api.org/news-and-media/news/newsitems/2012/oct-2012/api-files-court-challenge-against-costly-sec-rule.
- Cust, J. (2018). The role of governance and international norms in managing natural resources. In Tony Addison & Alan Roe (Eds.), Extractive industries: The management of resources as a driver of sustainable development. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- EITI. (2016). EITI brief: Chinese companies reporting in EITI implementing countries. Retrieved from https://eiti.org/document/eiti-brief-chinese-companies-reporting-in-eiti-implementing-countries.
- EITI. (2017). The EITI standard 2016. Retrieved from https://eiti.org/sites/default/files/documents/the_eiti_standard_2016_-_english.pdf.
- EITI. (2019). EITi supporting countries contribution 2017. Retrieved from https://eiti.org/document/supporting-countries-contributions-for-2017.
- European Commission. (2012, December 21). Parliamentary questions about the transparency of the extractive industry. Retrieved from http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getAllAnswers.do?reference=E-2012-009670&language=EN.
- European Commission. (2013). New disclosure requirements for the extractive industry and loggers of primary forests in the Accounting (and Transparency) Directives (Country by Country Reporting)—frequently asked questions. Retrieved from http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-13-541_en.htm.
- European Commission. (2018a). Review of country-by-country reporting requirements for extractive and logging industries. Retrieved from https://ec.europa.eu/info/publications/181126-country-by-country-reporting-extractive-logging-industries-study_en.
- European Commission. (2018b, May 31). DG FISMA meetings and lobby meetings on public country-by-country reporting. Retrieved from https://www.asktheeu.org/en/request/5409/response/17526/attach/7/Minutes%20content%20of%20listed%20meetings.pdf.
- European Parliament. (2011). European Parliament resolution of 13 September 2011 on an effective raw materials strategy for Europe. Retrieved from http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-%2f%2fEP%2f%2fTEXT%2bTA%2bP7-TA-2011-0364%2b0%2bDOC%2bXML%2bV0%2f%2fEN&language=EN.
- European Union. (2013a). Directive 2013/34/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 June 2013 on the annual financial statements, consolidated financial statements and related reports of certain types of undertakings, amending Directive 2006/43/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council and repealing Council Directives 78/660/EEC and 83/349/EEC Text with EEA relevance. Retrieved from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A32013L0034.
- European Union. (2013b). Directive 2013/50/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 October 2013 amending Directive 2004/109/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on the harmonisation of transparency requirements in relation to information about issuers whose securities are admitted to trading on a regulated market. Retrieved from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX%3A32013L0050.
- Extractive Industry Representatives, & Civil Society Representatives. (2019, June 11). Joint letter by industry and civil society. Retrieved from http://transparency.eu/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Joint-civil-society-and-extractive-companies-letter_Commissioner-Dombrov….pdf.
- G20. (2009). G20 leaders statement: The Pittsburgh summit. Retrieved from http://www.g20.utoronto.ca/2009/2009communique0925.html.
- Government of Equatorial Guinea. (2018). Letter of intent, memorandum of economic and financial policies, and technical memorandum of understanding. Retrieved from https://www.imf.org/external/np/loi/2018/gnq/051118.pdf.
- Human Rights Watch. (2018). Equatorial Guinea: Prominent activist severely beaten. Retrieved May 11, 2019, from https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/10/31/equatorial-guinea-prominent-activist-severely-beaten.
- International Association of Oil and Gas Producers. (2018). Q&A/ briefing: Legislation on extractive industry payments to governments. Retrieved from https://32zn56499nov99m251h4e9t8-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/IOGP-BriefingQA-on-the-EU-Accounting-Directive.pdf.
- International Monetary Fund. (2010). Angola—fifth review under the stand-by arrangement, request for waiver of applicability of performance criteria, and request for modification of performance. Retrieved from International Monetary Fund website: https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/scr/2011/cr11346.pdf.
- Kamp, H. G. J. (2013, February 8). Kamerbrief uitzonderingsclausule rapportage betalingen aan regeringen. Retrieved from http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/documenten-en-publicaties/kamerstukken/2013/02/08/kamerbrief-uitzonderingsclausule-rapportage-betalingen-aan-regeringen.html.
- Lujala, P., Rustad, S. A., & Le Billon, P. (2017). Has the EITI been successful? Reviewing evaluations of the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (No. 5). Retrieved from Chr. Michelsen Institute website: https://www.cmi.no/publications/6300-has-the-eiti-been-successful.
- Matthews, C. M. (2012, August 22). SEC Narrowly Approves Reporting Rules on Resource Extraction, Conflict Minerals. Wall Street Journal. Retrieved from http://blogs.wsj.com/corruption-currents/2012/08/22/sec-narrowly-approves-reporting-rules-for-energy-mining-firms/tab/print/.
- Moran, T. H. (2013). Reform EITI to require compliant countries to publish disaggregated company-by-company revenue payments. Retrieved from http://eiti.org/files/Draft%20CGD%20Policy%20Paper%20-%20EITI%20-%20Moran.pdf.
- Natural Resource Governance Institute. (2017). 2017 resource governance index. Retrieved from https://api.resourcegovernanceindex.org/system/documents/documents/000/000/046/original/2017_Resource_Governance_Index.pdf?1498599435.
- Natural Resource Governance Institute. (2019). Natural resource governance glossary. Retrieved May 10, 2019, from https://resourcegovernance.org/analysis-tools/tools/natural-resource-governance-glossary#g.
- Obama, B. (2011, September 20). Opening remarks by President Obama on open government partnership. Retrieved March 7, 2013, from Website of the White House website: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/09/20/opening-remarks-president-obama-open-government-partnership.
- Oussov, A. (2016, July 1). “Does Russia need EITI?”, an article for the “Neft Rossii” magazine (issue 7–8, July–August 2016). Retrieved May 8, 2019, from KPMG website: https://home.kpmg/ru/en/home/insights/2016/07/does-russia-need-eiti-oussov.html.
- Penttinen, I. (2019, June 20). All eyes on extractives legislation review. Retrieved from https://transparency.eu/all-eyes-on-extractives-legislation-review/.
- Persson, M. (2012, February 22). Kabinet wil Shell ontzien bij EU-regels. De Volkskrant. Retrieved from http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2686/Binnenland/article/detail/3194684/2012/02/22/Kabinet-wil-Shell-ontzien-bij-EU-regels.dhtml.
- Publish What You Pay. (2018). Exploring the efficacy of the EU law concerning reports on payments to governments: Reflections from the EU. Retrieved from https://www.pwyp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/EU-law-report_Executive_Summary.pdf.
- Renwick, N., Gu, J., & Hong, S. (2018). China and African Governance in the Extractive Industries. International Development Policy, 10(1).Google Scholar
- Sala-i-Martin, X., & Subramanian, A. (2003). Addressing the natural resource curse: An illustration from Nigeria. Columbia University Department of Economics Discussion Paper Series, Discussion Paper #:0203-15.Google Scholar
- Snow, N. (2017). Trump signs CR rescinding SEC foreign payment disclosure requirement. Oil & Gas Journal. Retrieved from https://www.ogj.com/articles/2017/02/trump-signs-cr-rescinding-sec-foreign-payment-disclosure-requirement.htm.
- UN General Assembly. (2008). Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on 11 September 2008: Strengthening transparency in industries. Retrieved from https://www.un.org/en/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/RES/62/274.
- US Department of the Interior. (2017, November 2). Letter to EITI. Retrieved from https://eiti.org/sites/default/files/documents/signed_eiti_withdraw_11-17.pdf.