In this chapter, you will review various definitions of mobile learning and be able to differentiate mobile websites from native mobile applications. You will then review common platforms for mobile learning and design principles for mobile learning solutions. Finally, we will discuss the development process and key considerations for developing mobile websites and mobile applications, along with features mobile learning development tools.
KeywordsMobile learning Mobile website Mobile applications Mobile design guidelines
- Android Authority. (2018). 10 best Android learning apps. Retrieved from https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-learning-apps-566227/.
- Apple (2018). Human Interface Guidelines. Retrieved from https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/ios/overview/themes/Google Scholar
- Babich, N. (2018). 10 Do’s and Don’ts of Mobile UX Design. Retrieved from https://theblog.adobe.com/10-dos-donts-mobile-ux-design/Google Scholar
- Bransford, J. D., Brown, A., & Cocking, R. (1999). How people learn: Brain, mind, experience, and school. Washington: National Research Council.Google Scholar
- Brown, J. S., & Duguid, P. (2017). The social life of information: Updated, with a new preface. Boston: Harvard Business Review Press.Google Scholar
- Ericsson. (2018). Mobile subscriptions worldwide. Retrieved from https://www.ericsson.com/en/mobility-report/reports/november-2018/mobile-subscriptions-worldwide-q3-2018.
- Gartner. (2018). Gartner says Huawei secured No. 2 worldwide smartphone vendor spot, Surpassing apple in second quarter 2018. Gartner, Retrieved from https://www.gartner.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2018-08-28-gartner-says-huawei-secured-no-2-worldwide-smartphone-vendor-spot-surpassing-apple-in-second-quarter.
- Horton, W. (2011). E-learning by design. John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Lifewire. (2018). The 10 best learning apps of 2018. Retrieved online from https://www.lifewire.com/best-learning-apps-4176357.
- Lobo, D., Kaşkaloğlu, K., Fox, H., & Srisangkhajorn, T. (2011). A synergic approach to web usability for smartphone. International Conference on Information and Electronics Engineering, 5, 65–69.Google Scholar
- Mashable. (2018). Most popular iPhone apps in 2018. Retrieved from https://mashable.com/article/apple-most-popular-iphone-apps-2018/#z_M1K3DhFGqn.
- McGreal, R. (2009, June). Mobile devices and the future of free education. In ICDE and EADTU International Conference 2009. Maastricht.Google Scholar
- Nielsen, J, (2011). Mobile Usability Update. Retrieved from http://www.useit.com/ alertbox/mobile-usability.htmlGoogle Scholar
- Pastore, R., & Martin, F. (2013). Designing and developing mobile based instruction: A designers perspective. Design and Technology Education, 18(3), 61–72.Google Scholar
- Quinn, C. (2000). mLearning: Mobile, wireless, in-your-pocket learning. LiNE Zine, 2006. https://www.linezine.com/2.1/features/cqmmwiyp.htm.
- Statista (2018). Number of apps available in leading app stores as of 3rd quarter 2018. Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/statistics/276623/number-of-apps-available-in-leading-app-stores/.
- Traxler, J. (2009). Current state of mobile learning. In M. Ally (Ed.), Mobile learning: Transforming the delivery of education and training. Edmonton: Athabasca University Press.Google Scholar
- Wagner, E. D. (2005). Enabling mobile learning. Educause Review, 40(3), 40–53.Google Scholar
- Woodill, G. (2011). The mobile learning edge: Tools and technologies for developing your teams. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar