An Entropy-Based Graph Construction Method for Representing and Clustering Biological Data
Unsupervised learning methods are commonly used to perform the non-trivial task of uncovering structure in biological data. However, conventional approaches rely on methods that make assumptions about data distribution and reduce the dimensionality of the input data. Here we propose the incorporation of entropy related measures into the process of constructing graph-based representations for biological datasets in order to uncover their inner structure. Experimental results demonstrated the potential of the proposed entropy-based graph data representation to cope with biological applications related to unsupervised learning problems, such as metagenomic binning and neuronal spike sorting, in which it is necessary to organize data into unknown and meaningful groups.
KeywordsEntropy Graph Clustering Biological data Spike sorting Metagenomic binning.
This research was supported by Centro de Excelencia y Apropiación en Big Data y Data Analytics -Alianza CAOBA- and Universidad EAFIT.
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- 5.Zhang, H., Chen, X.: Network-based clustering and embedding for high-dimensional data visualization. In: 2013 International Conference on Computer-Aided Design and Computer Graphics, pp. 290–297. IEEE (2013). https://doi.org/10.1109/CADGraphics.2013.45
- 10.Leung, H.C., Yiu, S.M., Yang, B., Peng, Y., Wang, Y., Liu, Z., Chen, J., Qin, J., Li, R., Chin, F.Y.: A robust and accurate binning algorithm for metagenomic sequences with arbitrary species abundance ratio. Bioinformatics 27(11), 1489–1495 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btr186CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Ceballos, J., Ariza-Jiménez, L., Pinel, N.: Standardized approaches for assessing metagenomic contig binning performance from Barnes-Hut \(t\)-Stochastic neighbor embeddings. In: VIII Latin American Conference on Biomedical Engineering and XLII National Conference on Biomedical Engineering, pp. 761–768. Springer Nature Switzerland AG (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-30648-9_101
- 12.Ariza-Jiménez, L., Quintero, O., Pinel, N.: Unsupervised fuzzy binning of metagenomic sequence fragments on three-dimensional Barnes-Hut t-Stochastic neighbor embeddings. In: 40th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), pp. 1315–1318. IEEE (2018). https://doi.org/10.1109/EMBC.2018.8512529
- 17.Sharon, I., Morowitz, M.J., Thomas, B.C., Costello, E.K., Relman, D.A., Banfield, J.F.: Time series community genomics analysis reveals rapid shifts in bacterial species, strains, and phage during infant gut colonization. Genome Res. 23(1), 111–120 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1101/gr.142315.112CrossRefGoogle Scholar