Online Voting in Ontario Municipal Elections: A Conflict of Legal Principles and Technology?
- 503 Downloads
This paper presents the first comprehensive study of the use of online voting technology in the province of Ontario, Canada. Despite having one of the largest concentrations of online voters globally, its use is not governed by any federal or provincial standards. This has left many municipalities to make decisions largely in isolation, relying on for-profit vendors to set their own bar for cybersecurity and public accountability. This study presents important observations about online voting use in the 2018 Ontario municipal election and questions whether the legal principles are being met by the technology deployed in practice.
We are grateful to a many individuals in Ontario and beyond for important insights on technology, policy and law. Special thanks to Jane Buchanan. See the full version of the complete list of acknowledgments.
- 1.Handbook for the Observation of New Voting Technologies. Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (2013). ISBN 978-92-9234-869-4Google Scholar
- 2.De-identification guidelines for structured data (2016). https://www.ipc.on.ca/resource/de-identification-guidelines-for-structured-data
- 3.Cyber threats to Canada’s democratic process. Canada. Communications Security Establishment, Canada (2017). http://publications.gc.ca/site/eng/9.838566/publication.html
- 4.Alternative Voting Technologies report. Elections Ontario (2019). ISSN 978-1-4606-2017-5Google Scholar
- 5.Modernizing Ontario’s Electoral Process: Report on Ontario’s 42nd General Election. Elections Ontario (2019). https://www.elections.on.ca/en/resource-centre/reports-and-publications.html
- 6.Anderson, D., Dunn, C., Dempster, A., Labby, B., Neveu, A.: Fraudulent emails used to cast votes in UCP leadership race. CBC News, Published 10th April 2019. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ucp-leadership-voter-fraud-membership-lists-data-1.5091952
- 7.Boisver, N.: Dead dog registered to cast vote in upcoming mono, ont. election. CBC News, Published 11th October 2018. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/decease-dog-voting-pin-1.4859489
- 8.Butler, C.: Ontario civic elections: the problem with online voting. CBC News, 4th April 2018. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/london-ontario-online-voting-1.4598787
- 9.Chang-Fong, N., Essex, A.: The cloudier side of cryptographic end-to-end verifiable voting: a security analysis of Helios. In: 32nd Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC 2016), CA (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Goodman, N., Pammett, J.H., DeBardeleben, J.: Internet voting: the canadian municipal experience. Can. Parliam. Rev. 33(3), 13–21 (2010) Google Scholar
- 11.Haenni, R.: Swiss post public intrusion test: undetectable attack against vote integrity and secrecy (2019). https://e-voting.bfh.ch/publications/2019/
- 12.Laucius, J.: Election night glitch points to the ‘wild west’ of online voting, says cybersecurity expert. Ottawa Citizen, 25th October 2019. https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/election-night-glitch-points-to-the-wild-west-of-online-voting-says-cybersecurity-expert
- 13.Lewis, S.J., Pereira, O., Teague, V.: How not to prove your election outcome (2019). https://people.eng.unimelb.edu.au/vjteague/HowNotToProveElectionOutcome.pdf
- 15.MacVicar, A.: Alberta NDP calls for special prosecutor to oversee RCMP investigation of UCP leadership race. Global News, Published 2nd May 2019. https://globalnews.ca/news/5233913/notley-special-prosecutor-ucp-leadership-race/. Accessed May 2019
- 16.Nemec, M., Sys, M., Svenda, P., Klinec, D., Matyas, V.: The return of coppersmith’s attack: practical factorization of widely used RSA moduli. In: Proceedings of the 2017 ACM SIGSAC Conference on Computer and Communications Security, pp. 1631–1648. ACM (2017)Google Scholar
- 17.Regenscheid, A., Hastings, N.: A Threat Analysis on UOCAVA Voting Systems. Number NISTIR 7551. US National Institute of Standards and Technology (2008)Google Scholar
- 18.Scarpaleggia, F., et al.: Strengthening Democracy in Canada: Principles, Process and Public Engagement for Electoral Reform, Canada. Parliament. House of Commons. Special Committee on Electoral Reform (2016). http://publications.gc.ca/site/eng/9.828533/publication.html
- 19.Springall, D., et al.: Security analysis of the Estonian Internet voting system. In: Proceedings of the 2014 ACM SIGSAC Conference on Computer and Communications Security, pp. 703–715. ACM (2014)Google Scholar
- 20.Warren, M.: Online voting causes headaches in 51 ontario cities and town. Toronto Star. Published 23rd October 2019. https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/10/23/internet-voting-causes-headaches-in-51-ontario-cities-and-towns.html