27seconds: A Wine Brand as a Vehicle for Social Change
- 346 Downloads
This chapter presents a case study of 27seconds, a wine brand that has been established to achieve both social and financial goals, and as such fulfils the definition of a social enterprise. After outlining previous research on social enterprises, the chapter presents a case study of the origins, emergence and ongoing development of 27seconds since it was first launched in 2017 with the goal of raising funds for the charitable organisation Hagar. The chapter argues that while the initial success of the brand owes a great deal to the passion of the two owners, the groundswell of industry and public support for this endeavour, and the strong sense of pride and community interest, has been achieved in part due to the opportunity 27seconds offers to drink good wine while supporting a charitable cause.
KeywordsSocial enterprise Wine Charity fund-raising Marketing Distribution
- Dees, J. G. (1994). Private initiatives for the common good. Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Publishing.Google Scholar
- Dees, J. G., & Anderson, B. B. (2006). Framing a theory of social entrepreneurship: Building on two schools of practice and thought. Research on Social Entrepreneurship: Understanding and Contributing to an Emerging Field, 1(3), 39–66.Google Scholar
- Department of Internal Affairs. (2013). Legal structures for social enterprises. Retrieved from www.dia.govt.nz/cvs.
- Fruchterman, J. (2011). For love or lucre. In Stanford social innovation review. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Haugh, H., & Tracey, P. (2004). The role of social enterprise in regional development. Proceedings Social Enterprise and Regional Development Conference. UK: University of Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Hockerts, K. (2006). Entrepreneurial opportunity in social purpose business ventures. In J. Mair, J. Robertson, & K. Hockerts (Eds.), Handbook of research in social entrepreneurship (pp. 142–154). London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Social Enterprise Alliance. (2014). The case for social enterprise alliance. Retrieved from www.se-alliance.org.
- Steele, M. (2017). Profits from every drop of Canterbury wine goes towards fighting modern day slavery. Retrieved from www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/98288811.
- Yin, R. (2003). Case study research: Design and methods (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.Google Scholar