An Industry Under Pressure: The Influence of Economic, Technological and Environmental Pressures on the Social Sustainability of the South African Wine Industry
- 416 Downloads
The South African wine industry is facing disruption. This disruption is forcing players in the wine value chain to re-evaluate their business models and become leaner. This chapter explores the impact that these major forces of change have on the economic and social sustainability of South African wine producers and vineyards: 4th Industrial Revolution technologies, a three-year drought and changing consumer preferences. The fragile relationship between economic and social sustainability in the 4th Industrial Revolution is highlighted, with a particular focus on the impact of change on employees and labourers.
Keywords4th Industrial Revolution South Africa Drought Technology Consumer demand
- Barclay, L. (2018). Rise of the machines: Friend or foe for female blue-collar workers? The SABPP women’s report 2018: Women blue-collar workers. Retrieved from https://www.usb.ac.za/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/SABPP_Womens-Report-2018_web-1.pdf.
- Briggs, B., Buchholz, S., Sharma, S., Saif, I., & Mossburg, E. (2019). Macro technology trends at work: Deloitte insights. Retrieved from https://www2.deloitte.com/insights/us/en/focus/tech-trends/2019/macro-technology-trends-forces-at-work.html.
- BusinessTech. (2019). The biggest wine producers in the world—Here’s where South Africa sits. Retrieved from https://businesstech.co.za/news/business/313246/the-worlds-biggest-wine-producers-south-africa-slips-as-drought-hits/.
- Davis, N. (2016). What is the fourth industrial revolution? Retrieved from https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/01/what-is-the-fourth-industrial-revolution/.
- Davis, A. (2018). Craft beer and spirits a hit with millennials—Small business trends. Retrieved from https://smallbiztrends.com/2015/09/millennials-craft-beer.html.
- Floris-Samuels, B. (2019). Status of wine-grape vines as on 31 December 2018. Retrieved from http://www.sawis.co.za/info/download/Vineyards_2018_final.pdf.
- Gosling, M. (2019). Cape wine production set to be low after 3-year drought. Retrieved from https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/cape-wine-production-set-to-be-low-after-3-year-drought-20190207.
- Marr, B. (2019). The incredible ways the 4th industrial revolution and AI are changing winemaking. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2019/07/03/the-incredible-ways-the-4th-industrial-revolution-and-ai-are-changing-winemaking/.
- McGinnis, D. (2018). What is the fourth industrial revolution? Retrieved from https://www.salesforce.com/blog/2018/12/what-is-the-fourth-industrial-revolution-4IR.html.
- McKenzie, S. (2004). Social sustainability: Towards some definitions. Retrieved from https://www.unisa.edu.au/siteassets/episerver-6-files/documents/eass/hri/working-papers/wp27.pdf.
- Pilz, D. H. (2017, August 9). Themed week process optimization: Industry 4.0 takes vineyards by storm. Retrieved from https://blog.drinktec.com/wine/industry-4-0-takes-vineyards-by-storm/.
- SAWIS. (2018). SA wine industry 2018 statistics Nr 43. Retrieved from http://www.sawis.co.za/info/download/Book_2018_statistics_year_english_final.pdf.
- Schwab, K. (n.d.). The fourth industrial revolution: Special feature. Retrieved from https://www.britannica.com/topic/The-Fourth-Industrial-Revolution-2119734.
- Vinpro. (2019, May 6). State of the SA wine industry 2018/2019. Retrieved from https://www.wineland.co.za/state-of-the-sa-wine-industry-2018-2019/.