Does the Financial Performance of Banks Change During the Global Financial Crisis? The Case of Palestine
- 539 Downloads
The main goal of this study is empirically evaluating the financial performance of Palestinian banks during the period 2005–2011. The main purpose of these selected periods is to the capture the global financial crisis time effect fully. Both bank-specific and macroeconomic variables are used to investigate the financial performance of banks during the global financial crisis. Fixed-effects and Random-effects methodologies are used to do empirical analysis. The study concluded that the macroeconomic factors have more impact on the profitability of the banks in Palestine, in contrast with bank-specific profitability determinants.
KeywordsBanks Inflation Profitability Global financial crisis
- Alper, D., & Anbar, A. (2011). Bank specific and macroeconomic determinants of commercial bank profitability: Empirical evidence from Turkey. Business and Economics Research Journal, 2(2), 139–152.Google Scholar
- Anwar, M. & Herwany, A. (2006). The determinants of successful bank profitability in Indonesia: Empirical study for provincial government’s banks and private non-foreign banks. Working papers in business, management and finance, No. 200601.Google Scholar
- Aysan, A. & Ceyhan, S. (2007). What determines the banking sector in globalized financial markets: The case of Turkey? Social Performance Science Research Network (SSRN), Bogaziçi University.Google Scholar
- Bader, N., & Malawi, G. (2007). The impact of interest rate on investment in Jordan co-integration analysis. JKAU: Economics and Administration, 24(1), 199–209.Google Scholar
- Central Bank of Palestine. http://www.pma.ps. Accessed November 1, 2018.
- Data of Palestinian banks. http://data.worldbank.org/country/west-bank-gaza. Accessed November 30, 2018.
- Dietrich, A. & Wanzenried, G. (2009). What determines the profitability of commercial banks? New evidence from Switzerland. Lucerne University of Applied Sciences, SSRN.Google Scholar
- Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia, ESCWA. (1987). http://www.escwa.un.org/members/main.asp?country=Palestine. Accessed November 11, 2018.
- Gul, S., Irshad, F., Zaman, K. (2011). Factors affecting bank profitability in Pakistan. Romanian Economic Journal, 61–87.Google Scholar
- International Monetary Fund. http://www.imf.org. Accessed November 15, 2018.
- Lee, H., & Hsieh, D. (2012). The impact of bank capital on profitability and risk in Asian banking. Journal of International Money and Finance, 32(8), 251–281.Google Scholar
- Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics. http://www.pcbs.gov.ps. Accessed December 01, 2018.