The Royal Theatre Presents: Echoes of Melodrama in the Magic Kingdom
- 281 Downloads
In March, 2013, Disneyland opened the Royal Theatre, condensing Disney films like Beauty and the Beast, Tangled, and Frozen into 22-minute stage adaptations. The decor of the theatre, the language of the characters, and the costuming of the performers all work together to evoke a nostalgic and loose sense of history that calls on guests to interact with the story in the style of an “old-time melodrama,” booing, hissing, cheering, and singing along to the story. In this essay Maria Patrice Amon argues that tourists are taught how to perform as actors and given a new hybrid identity as both performer and audience that extends to the parks as a whole. The essay explores the theatrical genre of melodrama and asserts that the Royal Theatre’s use of this genre gives the audience a way to exceed their assumed passivity and interact with the performers as actors themselves.
KeywordsDisneyland Melodrama Nostalgia Royal Theatre
- Ang, Ien. 2005. Watching Dallas: Soap Opera and the Melodramatic Imagination. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Brooks, Peter, and Henry James. 1976. The Melodramatic Imagination. New Haven, London: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Glover, Erin. 2017. Rivers of America Through the Years at Disneyland Park. Disney Parks Blog, July 24. https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/07/rivers-of-america-through-the-years-at-disneyland-park/.
- Guiver, Mathew. 2015. Does Disney Jail Really Exist? BuzzFeed, August 6. https://www.buzzfeed.com/mathewguiver/does-disney-jail-actually-exist?utm_term=.arYwV9Em4#.beBg4rRKk.
- Korkis, Bill. 2018. WDW Chronicles: The History of Disney Topiary. AllEars.Net. http://allears.net/ae/issue726.htm. Accessed 14 Aug.
- Macdonald, Brady, and Christopher Reynolds. 2015. Disneyland: 60 things you might not know about the Magic Kingdom. Los Angeles Times, Travel, July 17. http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-d-disneyland-60-things-20150712-story.html.
- Martin, Hugo. 2015. Disneyland Prepares for Crush of Visitors During 60th Anniversary Celebration. Los Angeles Times. Business, May 19. http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disneyland-crowds-20150519-story.html.
- Mumpower, David. 2015. Five INSANE Reasons People Sued Disney. Theme Park Tourist, April 9. https://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20170406/32636/five-insane-reasons-people-sued-disney?page=2.
- Olya, Gabrielle. 2018. Running Disneyland for Just One Day Costs an Insane Amount of Money. Go Banking Rates, April 12. https://www.gobankingrates.com/making-money/business/how-much-does-it-cost-to-run-disneyland-day/#12.
- Postlewait, Thomas. 1996. From Melodrama to Realism: The Suspect History of American Drama. In Melodrama: The Cultural Emergence of a Genre, ed. Michael Hays and Anastasia Nikolopoulou. New York: St. Martin’s Press.Google Scholar
- Randall, Charles H., and Joan L.G. Bushnell. 1986. Hisses, Boos & Cheers, or, a Practical Guide to the Planning, Producing, and Performing of Melodrama. Woodstock, IL: Dramatic Pub. Co.Google Scholar
- Smith, James L. 1973. Melodrama. London: Methuen.Google Scholar