Digital University Admission Application System with Study Documents Using Smart Contracts on Blockchain
In order to promote data distribution and utilization of personal data, the concept of data portability attracts attention. As an example of such personal data, there is a study document of a high school student used for entrance examination etc. Since study documents are still paper medium in Japan, computerization of study documents is planned. However, since a study document contains a lot of confidential information, the information must not be leaked even if erroneous transmission or mistake occurs. In addition, it is necessary to prevent falsification of information. The format of a study document is now planned to be updated by Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, and, in a updated study document, not only teachers input information but also student him/herself also conducts research activities, extra-curricular activities, qualifications/certification etc. Consequently, the authority of input/viewing becomes extremely complicated. In this paper, we propose a digital university admission application system with study documents and e-portfolio using smart contracts on blockchain. Furthermore, we implement the proposed system using Ethereum platform. Due to the property of the blockchain, the falsification of information is extremely difficult, information leakage is prevented by combining with encryption, and it is effective from the viewpoint of data portability.
This work was partially supported by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science through Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B) (17H01742) and JST CREST JPMJCR1402.
- 1.Japan e-Portfolio. https://jep.jp/
- 2.Common Application. https://www.commonapp.org/
- 3.Coalition for Access, Affordability, and Success. http://www.coalitionforcollegeaccess.org/
- 4.Universal College Application. https://www.universalcollegeapp.com/
- 5.UCAS. https://www.ucas.com/
- 6.Szabo, N.: Smart contracts (1994). http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/rob/Courses/InformationInSpeech/CDROM/Literature/LOTwinterschool2006/szabo.best.vwh.net/smart.contracts.html
- 7.Szabo, N.: The idea of smart contracts (1994). http://www.fon.hum.uva.nl/rob/Courses/InformationInSpeech/CDROM/Literature/LOTwinterschool2006/szabo.best.vwh.net/idea.html
- 8.Nakamoto, S.: Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System. https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
- 9.Ethereum. https://www.ethereum.org/
- 11.Solidity. https://github.com/ethereum/solidity
- 12.Ganache. https://truffleframework.com/ganache