Supervision of Postgraduate Independent Study in a Distance Learning Environment
- 122 Downloads
This chapter is written in collaboration with one past and two present Computer Science doctorate students who all studied a UK Master’s programme by distance learning and whilst living overseas; all three went on to study for a Ph.D. in the same way; one completed and two are still current. The chapter explores their first-hand experience and ideas in order to arrive at some recommendations for achieving success with this kind of study. The exploration involves a narrative from each of the three co-authors who studied in this way. Not surprisingly, communication and engagement from supervisors/tutors and students are key here. However, other recommendations range from motivational elements—such as achieving publications, to the very practical, such as being supported with technical issues. The lessons learned from these experiences are particularly pertinent for distance students but many of them will resonate for on-site staff/student interactions just as well.
KeywordsPostgraduate Distance learning Ph.D.
- Atkin C, Rose A, Sharp J, Hill Y, Adams K, Sayers R (2015) Internationalising the curriculum: a developmental resource for initiating transformational change, heacademy.ac.uk
- Carter J, Chiclana F, Al-Omari M (2015) E-Learning for distance learning students: a case study from a UK masters programme. In: Proceedings of the third European conference on technology in the classroom 2015Google Scholar
- JISC (2017) Transnational education (TNE): delivering support for both established and developing TNE activities. https://www.jisc.ac.uk/rd/projects/transnational-education. Accessed 9 May 19
- O’ Mahony J (2014) Enhancing student learning and teacher development in transnational education. Higher Education Academy, New York, 1–38. http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/resources/detail/internationalisation/enhancingTNE
- QAA (2019) The transnational education review: handbook. https://www.qaa.ac.uk/international/transnational-education-review. Accessed 9 May 19
- Vonberg J (2015) The loneliness of the long distance learner. Guardian, 8 December 2015. https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2015/dec/08/you-work-in-a-vacuum-the-loneliness-of-the-long-distance-learner. Accessed 9 May 19
- Weller, S (2013) Understanding unintentional plagiarism and international students’ approaches to academic reading: a participatory approach to researching the international student experience. Project Report, Higher Education AcademyGoogle Scholar
- Woolderink M, Putnik K, van der Boom H, Klabbers G (2015) The voice of Ph.D. candidates and Ph.D. supervisors. A qualitative exploratory study amongst Ph.D. candidates and supervisors to evaluate the relational aspects of Ph.D. supervision in the Netherlands. Int J Dr Stud 10:217–235Google Scholar