IMU-Aided Ultra-wideband Based Localization for Coal Mine Robots
Robotic mining equipment is playing an increasingly important role in coal mine operations. Due to the complexity of underground occlusion environment, the localization methods available are limited, which restricts the development of coal mine robots (CMRs). Ultra Wideband (UWB) is a promising positioning sensor with accurate ranging capacity, but it needs to overcome the transient signal loss caused by multipath effect and metal block in coal mine. Range measurements from UWB can only provide 3 degrees of freedom (DOF) position without orientation, which is not enough to operation for CMRs under space-constrained coal mine. In this paper, a pseudo-GPS positioning system composed by UWB range measurements is proposed to provide the position of CMRs. Additionally, an Error State Kalman Filter (ESKF) is used for fusing measurements from Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) and UWB positioning system. The complete 6 DOF state estimation is established, and the biases of IMU and the calibration parameters of IMU w.r.t. the UWB mobile node are also estimated online to accommodate the long-term operation in underground harsh environment. Experiments in different motion conditions show that our approach can provide robust and precise 6 DOF state estimation for CMRs.
KeywordsUWB IMU EKF ESKF State estimation
This work is supported by the National Key Research and Development Program of China (No. 2018YFC0808000) and the Priority Academic Program Development of Jiangsu Higher Education Institutions (PAPD), China.
- 4.Kanellakis, C., Nikolakopoulos, G.: Evaluation of visual localization systems in underground mining. In: 2016 24th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation (MED), pp. 539–544. IEEE(2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Paraszczak, J., Gustafson, A., Schunnesson, H.: Technical and operational aspects of autonomous LHD application in metal mines. Int. J. Surf. Min. Reclam. Environ. 29(5), 391–403 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Bulin, M. A., Fan, Y.: The design and implementation of WiFi localization GIS for mine. J. Xi’an Univ. Sci. Technol. 3 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Fang, X., Wang, C., Nguyen, T.M., et al.: Model-free approach for sensor network localization with noisy distance measurement. In: 2018 15th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV), pp. 1973–1978. IEEE (2018)Google Scholar
- 13.Zhou, Y.: An efficient least-squares trilateration algorithm for mobile robot localization. In: IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, IROS 2009, pp. 3474–3479. IEEE/RSJ (2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Agarwal, S., Mierle, K.: Ceres solver (2013). https://github.com/ceres-solver/ceres-solver
- 15.Moore, T., Stouch, D.: A generalized extended Kalman Filter implementation for the robot operating system. In: Menegatti, E., Michael, N., Berns, K., Yamaguchi, H. (eds.) Intelligent Autonomous Systems 13. AISC, vol. 302, pp. 335–348. Springer, Cham (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-08338-4_25CrossRefGoogle Scholar