Adaptive Threshold Processing of Secondary Electron Images in Scanning Electron Microscope
Observing the sample under a scanning electron microscope (SEM) requires adjustment of brightness and contrast to obtain a clear image. The traditional method is manually adjusted by the operator, which inevitably has errors. In this paper, an adaptive threshold processing method based on image-based normalized gray histogram is proposed. This method can acquire the threshold of the image according to the state of the currently obtained secondary electron images. When the brightness and contrast of the image change, the threshold can also be changed accordingly. It is concluded from a large number of tests that when the secondary electron image gray histogram has obvious double peaks and is located in the trough, the threshold obtained is optimal. Therefore, it is possible to better observe the pictures under the SEM.
KeywordsSEM Secondary electron images Adaptive threshold Gray histogram Binarization
This work is supported by National Key R&D Program of China (2018YFB1304901).
- 1.Reimer, L.: Scanning electron microscopy. Cirp Encycl. Prod. Eng. 94(6), 756–776 (1985)Google Scholar
- 7.Kundu, S., Jana, P., De, D., et al.: SEM image processing of polymer nanocomposites to estimate filler content. In: IEEE International Conference on Electrical. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Li, D., Wang, Y.: Application of an improved threshold segmentation method in SEM material analysis (2018)Google Scholar
- 11.Lei, Y.Y., Wang, R., Yao, J.M., et al.: Research and implementation on image denoising for scanning electron microscopy. Opt. Optoelectron. Technol. 12(5), 77–82 (2014)Google Scholar
- 13.Chao, X., Fenghua, H., Zhengyuan, M.: An improved two-dimensional Otsu thresholding segmentation method. Appl. Electron. Tech. (2016)Google Scholar
- 15.Ni, L., Kailin, P., Yexiang, N.: An improved automatic threshold segmentation method used in PCBA vision inspection. In: Second International Symposium on Test Automation & Instrumentation (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Solomon, A., Cassuto, Y.: Adaptive threshold read algorithms in multi-level non-volatile memories with uncertainty. In: Science of Electrical Engineering (2017)Google Scholar
- 18.Ting, D.: Adaptive threshold sampling and estimation (2017)Google Scholar