Overview of UAV Based Free-Space Optical Communication Systems
Increased availability of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), also known as drones, have advanced research and industrial interests, establishing this platform as a promising part of future emerging technologies. In this paper, we present an overview of optical wireless communications (OWC) related to UAV, which benefit from both optical data rates and mobility of UAV. Since drones are usually employed in outdoor scenarios, the UAV based free-space optical (FSO) communication system is considered, as the FSO represents the optical wireless signal transmission from infra-red band spectrum in outdoor environments. A brief recapitulation of main studies in the field of UAV-aided cooperation within FSO systems is presented. Optical channel modeling is presented in details, taking into account both misalignment and positioning of the transceivers.
KeywordsFree-Space Optical (FSO) communication Misalignment Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV)
This work is developed in the framework of ERA.Net RUS Plus Project 99-HARMONIC, and TR-32025 and III44003 projects, that are supported by Ministry of Education, Science and Technology Development of Republic of Serbia.
- 1.Fotouhi, A., et al.: Survey on UAV cellular communications: practical aspects, standardization advancements, regulation, and security challenges. IEEE Commun. Surv. Tutorials (2019)Google Scholar
- 2.Mozaffari, M., Saad, W., Bennis, M., Nam, Y., Debbah, M.: A tutorial on UAVs for wireless networks: applications, challenges, and open problems. IEEE Commun. Surv. Tutorials (2019)Google Scholar
- 4.Arnon, S., Barry, J., Karagiannidis, G., Schober, R., Uysal, M. (eds.): Advanced Optical Wireless Communication Systems. Cambridge University Press, New York (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Ghassemlooy, Z., Popoola, W., Rajbhandari, S.: Optical Wireless Communications: System and Channel Modelling with MATLAB®, CRC Press. Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Chlestil, C., et al.: Reliable optical wireless links within UAV swarms. In: 2006 International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks, vol. 4. IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Leitgeb, E., et al.: Investigation in free space optical communication links between unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs). In: Proceedings of the 2007 9th International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks, vol. 3. IEEE (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Muhammad, S.S., et al.: Challenges in establishing free space optical communications between flying vehicles. In: Proceedings of the 2008 6th International Symposium on Communication Systems, Networks and Digital Signal Processing. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 18.Diamantoulakis, P.D., et al.: Airborne Radio Access Networks with Simultaneous Lightwave Information and Power Transfer (SLIPT). In: Proceedings of the 2018 IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM). IEEE (2018)Google Scholar
- 21.Najafi, M., et al.: Statistical modeling of FSO fronthaul channel for drone-based networks. In: Proceedings of the 2018 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC). IEEE (2018)Google Scholar
- 22.Safi, H., Dargahi, A., Cheng, J.: Spatial beam tracking and data detection for an FSO link to a UAV in the presence of hovering fluctuations. arXiv preprint arXiv:1904.03774 (2019)