Primary Tooth Crown and Root Fractures
In the primary dentition, luxation injuries are more common than crown or root fractures because the surrounding bone is less dense. Fractures of enamel are not uncommon but may not be reported as frequently as they occur. At very young ages, many children have not yet established a dental home and a minor dental injury may not be considered serious enough to seek care. Primary tooth fractures that involve enamel and dentin or that cause a pulp exposure are relatively infrequent but do usually result in the child being seen in a dental office or emergency room. This chapter focuses on fractures in the primary dentition and discusses treatment, prognosis, and sequelae as well as the behavior guidance techniques that allow safe treatment of the child.
KeywordsDental trauma Pediatric Tooth fracture Primary tooth Pulp necrosis Pulpotomy Trauma guidelines Behavior management
- 1.Flores MT, Holan G, Andreasen JO, Lauridsen E. Injuries to the primary dentition. In: Andreasen JO, Andreasen FM, Andersson L, editors. Textbook and color atlas of traumatic injuries to the teeth. 5th ed. Hoboken: Wiley-Blackwell; 2019. p. 556–88.Google Scholar
- 5.Malmgren B, Adreasen JO, Flores MT, Robertson A, DiAngelis AJ, Andersson L, Cavalleri G, Cohenca N, Day P, Hicks ML, Malmgren O, Moule AJ, Onetto J, Tsukiboshi M, International Association of Dental Traumatology. International Association of Dental Traumatology Guidelines for the management of traumatic dental injuries: 3. Injuries in the primary dentition. Dent Traumatol. 2012;28:174–82.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Ram D, Holan G. Partial pulpotomy in a traumatized primary incisor with pulp exposure: case report. Pediatr Dent. 1994;16:46–8.Google Scholar
- 7.Holan G, McTigue DJ. Introduction to dental trauma: managing traumatic injuries in the primary dentition. In: Nowak AJ, Christensen JR, Mabry TR, Townsend JA, Wells MH, editors. Pediatric dentistry infancy through adolescence. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2019. p. 227–43.Google Scholar
- 9.Andreasen JO, Flores MT, Lauridsen E. Injuries to developing teeth. In: Andreasen JO, Andreasen FM, Andersson L, editors. Textbook and color atlas of traumatic injuries to the teeth. 5th ed. Hoboken: Wiley-Blackwell; 2019. p. 589–625.Google Scholar