M-Path: A Conversational System for the Empathic Virtual Agent
- 430 Downloads
M-Path is an embodied conversational agent developed to achieve natural interaction using empathic behaviors. This paper is aimed to describe the details of the conversational management system within the M-Path framework that manages dialogue interaction with an emotional awareness. Our conversational system is equipped with a goal-directed narrative structure that adapts to the emotional reactions of the user using empathy mechanisms. We further show the implementation and a preliminary evaluation of our system in a consultation scenario, where our agent uses text-based dialogue interaction to conduct surveys.
KeywordsEmpathy Conversational agents Affective computing Human-computer interaction
This work was partially supported by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) [RGPIN-2019-06767].
- 3.DeVault D, Artstein R, Benn G, Dey T, Fast E, Gainer A, Georgila K, Gratch J, Hartholt A, Lhommet M et al (2014) Simsensei kiosk: a virtual human interviewer for healthcare decision support. In: Proceedings of the 2014 international conference on autonomous agents and multi-agent systems, pp 1061–1068Google Scholar
- 4.Devlin J, Chang M-W, Lee K, Toutanova K (2018) Bert: pre-training of deep bidirectional transformers for language understandingGoogle Scholar
- 5.Heerink M, Krose B, Evers V, Wielinga B (2009) Measuring acceptance of an assistive social robot: a suggested toolkit. In: RO-MAN 2009-The 18th IEEE international symposium on robot and human interactive communication, IEEE, pp 528–533Google Scholar
- 7.Lisetti C, Amini R, Yasavur U, Rishe N (2013) I can help you change! an empathic virtual agent delivers behavior change health interventions. ACM Trans Manag Inf Syst (TMIS) 4(4):19Google Scholar
- 8.Loper E, Bird S (2002) NLTK: The natural language toolkit. In: Proceedings of the ACL workshop on effective tools and methodologies for teaching natural language processing and computational linguistics. Association for Computational Linguistics, PhiladelphiaGoogle Scholar
- 9.Paiva A, Leite I, Boukricha H, Wachsmuth I (2017) Empathy in virtual agents and robots: a survey. ACM Trans Interact Intell Syst (TiiS) 7(3):11Google Scholar
- 12.R Core Team (2018) R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, ViennaGoogle Scholar
- 14.Yalçın ÖN (in press) Empathy framework for embodied conversational agents. Cogn Syst Res JGoogle Scholar