Mapping of Ultra-Wide Band Positional Variance for Indoor Environments
This paper presents recent work on the subject of measurement variance in Ultra-Wide Band localisation systems. Recent studies have shown the utility in more rigorous noise characterisation of sensor inputs used in state estimation systems such as the Extended Kalman Filter. This investigation strategy is extended to using data collected during trials of such state estimation algorithms using an Unmanned Ground Vehicle, for the generation of variance maps of the testing environments. The feasibility of building variance models from this data is discussed, and other applications for the information is proposed. As there exist circumstances where the practice of moving the agent around a space incrementally is not practicable, such as in the case of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, or in restricted spaces, an alternate method is needed. From the results it can be concluded that the use of data collected during standard operation in the environment is not sufficient for initial characterisation of localisation sensors. Initial analysis of this data was also utilised to investigate the effects of environmental factors.
KeywordsUltra-Wide Band State estimation Sensor characterisation
- 3.Guo, K., et al.: Ultra-wideband-based localization for quadcopter navigation. Unmanned Syst. 04(01), 23–34 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1142/S2301385016400033. http://www.worldscientific.com/doi/abs/10.1142/S2301385016400033CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Kapoor, R., Ramasamy, S., Gardi, A., Sabatini, R.: UAV navigation using signals of opportunity in urban environments: a review. Energy Procedia 110, 377–383 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/J.EGYPRO.2017.03.156. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876610217301868CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.McLoughlin, B.J., Pointon, H.A., McLoughlin, J.P., Shaw, A., Bezombes, F.A.: Uncertainty characterisation of mobile robot localisation techniques using optical surveying grade instruments. Sens. (Switz.) 18(7), 2274 (2018). https://doi.org/10.3390/s18072274. http://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/18/7/2274CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Sookyoi, T.: Experimental analysis of indoor positioning system based on ultra-wideband measurements (2016)Google Scholar
- 15.Wang, J., Raja, A.K., Pang, Z.: Prototyping and experimental comparison of IR-UWB based high precision localization technologies. In: Proceedings of 2015 IEEE 12th International Conference on Ubiquitous Intelligence and Computing, 2015 IEEE 12th International Conference on Advanced and Trusted Computing, 2015 IEEE 15th International Conference on Scalable Computing and Communications, vol. 20, pp. 1187–1192 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1109/UIC-ATC-ScalCom-CBDCom-IoP.2015.216