Cultural Self 2: Gender and Sex, Disability, and Age
- 193 Downloads
Counseling and psychotherapy in a diverse society necessitate awareness of social location. In this chapter, the topics include gender and sex, ability, and age. Gender is a social construction, while physical characteristics determine sex. Disabilities may indicate limitations in the environment or limitations possessed by an individual. The medical model of disability is prominent in psychology. Age may be defined physically, emotionally, and intellectually as well as subjectively. Together, these social locations play a role in the dynamic interplay between therapists and their clients.
- Albrecht, G. L. (1992). The disability business (Vol. 190). New Delhi: Sage.Google Scholar
- American Psychological Association. (2015). Definitions related to sexual orientation and gender diversity in APA documents. Retrieved from https://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/sexuality-definitions.pdf.
- American Psychological Association. (2019). APA applauds SAMHSA report calling for end to ‘conversion therapy’ for youth. Retrieved from https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2015/10/conversion-therapy.
- Beard, J. R., Officer, A., De Carvalho, I. A., Sadana, R., Pot, A. M., Michel, J. P., & Thiyagarajan, J. A. (2016). The World report on ageing and health: A policy framework for healthy ageing. The Lancet, 387(10033), 2145–2154.Google Scholar
- Brault, M. W. (2012). Americans with disabilities: 2010 (pp. 1–23). Washington, DC: US Department of Commerce, Economics and Statistics Administration, US Census Bureau.Google Scholar
- de Graaf, N. M., Manjra, I. I., Hames, A., & Zitz, C. (2018). Thinking about ethnicity and gender diversity in children and young people. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 24(2), 291–303. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359104518805801.
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. (2011, March 25, Friday). Rules and regulations. Federal Register, 76(58), 16978.Google Scholar
- Government of Canada. (2019). Choose or update the gender identifier on your passport or travel document. Retrieved from https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/change-sex.html#document-dont-show-gender.
- Munyi, C. W. (2012). Past and present perceptions towards disability: A historical perspective. Disability Studies Quarterly, 32(2), 1–11.Google Scholar
- National Center for Transgender Equality. (2019). Can I get a passport with my current gender? Retrieved from https://transequality.org/know-your-rights/passports.
- Planned Parenthood. (2019). Gender and gender identity. Retrieved from https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/sexual-orientation-gender/gender-gender-identity.
- Pownall, J., Wilson, S., & Jahoda, A. (2017). Health knowledge and the impact of social exclusion on young people with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 1–10.Google Scholar
- Richards, C., & Barker, M. J. (Eds.). (2015). The Palgrave handbook of the psychology of sexuality and gender. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Rosario, M., & Schrimshaw, E. W. (2014). Theories and etiologies of sexual orientation. In D. L. Tolman & L. M. Diamond (Eds.), APA handbook of sexuality and psychology. Volume 1: Person-based approaches. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.Google Scholar
- Statistics Canada. (2019). Disabilities in Canada. https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/75-006-x/2014001/article/14115-eng.htm.
- The Americans with Disabilities Act. (1990). ADA acronyms & abbreviations. https://adata.org/acronyms-abbreviations.
- United Nations. (2019). Department of economic and social affairs: Disability. Retrieved September 13 from: https://www.un.org/development/desa/disabilities/convention-on-the-rights-of-persons-with-disabilities/preamble.html.
- University of Southern California. (2019). LGBT resource centre. Retrieved from https://lgbtrc.usc.edu/education/terminology/.
- Vincent, J. (1995). Inequality and old age. London: UCL Press.Google Scholar
- Westerhof, G. J., & Tulle, E. (2007). Meanings of ageing and old age: Discursive contexts, social attitudes and personal identities. In J. Bond, S. Peace, F. Dittmann-Kohli, & G. J. Westerhof (Eds.), Ageing in society (pp. 235–254). London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Whitbourne, S. K., & Whitbourne, S. B. (2010). Adult development and aging: Biopsychosocial perspectives. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2015). World report on ageing and health. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/ageing/events/world-report-2015-launch/en/.