Created Out of Mind: Shaping Perceptions of Dementia Through Art and Science
- 376 Downloads
We describe a transdisciplinary research programme called Created Out of Mind which draws together artists, scientists and people living with rarer forms of dementia. The importance of subjective, lived experiences of dementia is highlighted as a key driver of research conducted during our arts-science residency in The Hub, Wellcome Collection. We illustrate our approach through worked examples of how comments and experiences shared by individuals with a visual form of dementia called posterior cortical atrophy inspired and shaped experiments, artworks and other outputs which deepened understanding of that condition.
KeywordsDementia Transdisciplinary Patient and public involvement (PPI) Co-creation
We are indebted to members of Rare Dementia Support for their inspiration and generous contributions to this work. We would particularly like to thank Gaynor Hulme (1948–2018), Pam Hulme and Isabel Phillips for sharing their ‘Am I the right way up?’ conversation, Trina and Graeme Armstrong, John Williamson and Lori Hayden, Pam and Richard, Raena and Nick Frankel-Pollen, Geoff and Joan Moffatt and Valerie Blumenthal for their contributions to Simon Ball’s film Do I See What You See?, and Charlie Murphy and Rachel Wilcock for images of their artworks. This work is presented on behalf of the Created Out of Mind team. This work was supported by the Wellcome Trust  and the Alzheimer’s Society [AS-PG-14-022]. The Dementia Research Centre receives support from the NIHR Queen Square Dementia BRU and the NIHR UCL/H Biomedical Research Centre.
- 1.Arends, B., Thackara, D.: Experiment: conversations in art and science. Wellcome Trust, London (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Brotherhood, E., Ball, P., Camic, P.M., Evans, C., Fox, N., Murphy, C., Walsh, F., West, J., Windle, G., Billiald, S., Firth, N., Harding, E., Harrison, C., Holloway, C., Howard, S., McKee-Jackson, R., Jones, E., Junghaus, J., Martin, H., Nolan, K., Rollins, B., Shapiro, L., Shapiro, L., Twigg, J., van Leeuwen, J., Walton, J., Warren, J., Wray, S., Yong, K., Zeilig, H., Crutch, S.: Preparatory planning framework for created out of mind: shaping perceptions of dementia through art and science. Wellcome Open Res. 6(2), 108 (2017). https://doi.org/10.12688/wellcomeopenres.12773.1CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Callard, F., Fitzgerald, D.: Rethinking interdisciplinarity across the social sciences and neurosciences. Palgrave Macmillan, UK (2015). https://doi.org/10.1057/9781137407962
- 5.Callard, F., Staines, K., Wilkes, J. (eds.): The restless compendium: interdisciplinary investigations of rest and its opposites. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-45264-7
- 6.Camic, P.M., Crutch, S.J., Zeilig, H., Harrison, C., Strohmaier, S., Harding, E., Firth, N., West, J., Wray, S., Murphy, C., Windle, G.: Conceptualising artistic creativity in the dementias: interdisciplinary approaches to research and practice. Front. Psychology 9, 1–12 (2018). https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg2018.0182CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Crutch, S.J., Schott, J.M., Rabinovici, G.D., Murray, M., Snowden, J.S., van der Flier, W.M., Dickerson, B.C., Vandenberghe, R., Ahmed, S., Bak, T.H., Boeve, B.F., Butler, C., Cappa, S.F., Ceccaldi, M., de Souza, L.C., Dubois, B., Felician, O., Galasko, D., Graff-Radford, J., Graff-Radford, N.R., Hof, P.R., Krolak-Salmon, P., Lehmann, M., Magnin, E., Mendez, M.F., Nestor, P.J., Onyike, C.U., Pelak, V.S., Pijnenburg, Y., Primativo, S., Rossor, M.N., Ryan, N.S., Scheltens, P., Shakespeare, T.J., Suárez González, A., Tang-Wai, D.F., Yong, K.X.X., Carrillo, M., Fox, N.C.: Alzheimer’s association ISTAART atypical alzheimer’s disease and associated syndromes professional interest area. Consensus classification of posterior cortical atrophy. Alzheimer’s & Dementia. 13(8),870–884 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jalz.2017.01.014
- 8.Crutch, S.J., Yong, K.X., Peters, A., Ocal, D., Kaski, D., Gonzalez, A.S., Ryan, N., Ball, S., Harrison, C.R., Murphy, C., Hulme, P., Phillips, I., Hulme, G., Brown, A., Brown, L., Riley, P., Ramsey, L., Woods, A., Day, B.: Contributions of patient and citizen researchers to ‘Am I the right way up?’ study of balance in posterior cortical atrophy and typical Alzheimer’s disease. Dementia (London). 17(8), 1011–1022 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1177/1471301218789296CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Harrison, C.R., Carton, A.M., Brotherhood, E.V., Hardy, C.J.D., Cohen, M.H., Warren, J.D., Crutch, S.J.: Profiles in paint: contrasting responses to a common artistic exercise by people with different dementias. Arts Health (2017). Epub ahead of print. https://doi.org/10.1080/17533015.2017.1402795