Recommending Tasks in Online Judges
Online Judges are e-learning tools used to improve the programming skills, typically for programming contests such as International Olympiads in Informatics and ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest.
In this context, due to the nowadays broad list of programming tasks available in Online Judges, it is crucial to help the learner by recommending a challenging but not unsolvable task. So far, in the literature, few authors focused on Recommender Systems (RSs) for Online Judges; in this paper we discuss some peculiarities of this problem, that prevent the use of standard RSs, and address a first building brick: the assessment of (relative) tasks hardness.
We also present the results of a preliminary experimental evaluation of our approach, that proved to be effective against the available dataset, consisting in all the submissions made in the Italian National Online Judge, used to train students for the Italian Olympiads in Informatics.
KeywordsRecommender systems Programming contests e-learning
- 2.Amaroli, N., Audrito, G., Laura, L.: Fostering informatics education through teams olympiad. Olympiads Inf. 12, 133–146 (2018)Google Scholar
- 3.Astrachan, O.: Non-competitive programming contest problems as the basis for just-in-time teaching. In: 2004 34th Annual Frontiers in Education, FIE 2004, vol. 1, pp. T3H/20–T3H/24, October 2004Google Scholar
- 4.Audrito, G., Demo, G.B., Giovannetti, E.: The role of contests in changing informatics education: a local view. Olympiads Inf. 6, 3–20 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Caiza, J., Del Alamo, J.: Programming assignments automatic grading: review of tools and implementations. In: INTED 2013 Proceedings of 7th International Technology, Education and Development Conference, 4–5 March 2013, pp. 5691–5700. IATED (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Dagienė, V.: Sustaining informatics education by contests. In: International Conference on Informatics in Secondary Schools-Evolution and Perspectives, pp. 1–12. Springer (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Di Luigi, W, Fantozzi, P., Laura, L., Martini, G., Morassutto, E., Ostuni, D., Pic-cardo, G., Versari, L.: Learning analytics in competitive programming training systems. In: 2018 22nd International Conference Information Visualisation (IV), pp. 321–325, July 2018Google Scholar
- 11.Di Mascio, T., Laura, L., Temperini, M.: A framework for personalized competitive programming training. In: 2018 17th International Conference on Information Technology Based Higher Education and Training (ITHET), pp. 1–8, April 2018Google Scholar
- 12.Garcia-Mateos , G., Fernandez-Aleman, J.L.: Make learning fun with programming contests. In: Transactions on Edutainment II, pp. 246–257. Springer (2009)Google Scholar