Smart Traffic Light Request Button – Improving Interaction and Accessibility for Pedestrians
The aim of this paper is to test the suitability of a smart traffic light request button, equipped with a contactless pedestrian detection and a green time extension for certain target groups. Within a preliminary analysis the primary factors hygiene, usability and comfort are considered. Based on this groundwork, a concept of a smart traffic light request button is developed, which includes a pedestrian detection with ultrasonic technology and the extension of the green light time via radio frequency identification. Furthermore, the technical implementation is finally composed in a drafted prototype. With the help of a sample group an experimental evaluation of the prototype is carried out. The evaluation results show, that the smart traffic light request button is widely accepted, and a benefit is generated for pedestrians. In addition, the hypothesis, which is developed in the preliminary analysis and assumes the benefit of a smart traffic light button, is confirmed by this evaluation.
KeywordsContactless pedestrian request button Traffic light green time extension RFID Ultrasonic Individualization in traffic management
This work was conducted within the scope of the research project “Reallabor GO Karlsruhe” and was funded by the German Ministry of Science, Research and Art, Baden-Württemberg as part of the science for sustainability initiative (Funding ID: MWK-0421.915-5(15)/HSKA).
- 1.Zeit.de Homepage. https://www.zeit.de/2014/30/fussgaengerampel-funktion. Accessed 12 June 2018
- 2.Forschungsgesellschaft für Straßen- und Verkehrswesen – FGSV: Beispielsammlung zu den Richtlinien für Lichtsignalanlagen (RiLSA), pp. 25–26, Köln (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Alrutz, D.: Verbesserung der Bedingungen für Fußgänger an Lichtsignalanlagen. In: Bericht zum Forschungsprojekt FE 77.0493/2008, p. 9. Bundesanstalt für Straßenwesen, Bergisch Gladbach (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.VDE Homepage. https://www.vde-verlag.de/normen/0832014/din-en-50556-vde-0832-100-2011-09.html. Accessed 14 June 2018
- 5.Nullbarriere Homepage. https://nullbarriere.de/din32981-sig-nalgeber.html. Accessed 5 April 2018