Performance Evaluation of Tsunami Inundation Simulation on SX-Aurora TSUBASA
As tsunamis may cause damage in wide area, it is difficult to immediately understand the whole damage. To quickly estimate the damages of and respond to the disaster, we have developed a real-time tsunami inundation forecast system that utilizes the vector supercomputer SX-ACE for simulating tsunami inundation phenomena. The forecast system can complete a tsunami inundation and damage forecast for the southwestern part of the Pacific coast of Japan at the level of a 30-m grid size in less than 30 min. The forecast system requires higher-performance supercomputers to increase resolutions and expand forecast areas. In this paper, we compare the performance of the tsunami inundation simulation on SX-Aurora TSUBASA, which is a new vector supercomputer released in 2018, with those on Xeon Gold and SX-ACE. We clarify that SX-Aurora TSUBASA achieves the highest performance among the three systems and has a high potential for increasing resolutions as well as expanding forecast areas.
KeywordsSystem performance Supercomputer Tsunami simulation
The authors would like to thank Mr. Takayuki Suzuki and Mr. Atsushi Tanobe of Kokusai Kogyo Co., LTD. for developing the tsunami model. This study was partially supported by JSPS KAKENHI Grant Numbers 16K12845, 17H06108, 18K11322, JST CREST Grant Number JP-MJCR1411, Joint Usage/Research Center for Interdisciplinary Large-scale Information Infrastructures in Japan (Project ID: jh180040-NAH), and Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan (Next Generation High-Performance Computing Infrastructures and Applications R&D Program). In this work, we used SX-ACE of the Cyberscience Center at Tohoku University, and SX-ACE and Octopus of the Cybermedia Center at the Osaka University.
- 1.Arce Acuña, M., Aoki, T.: Tree-based mesh-refinement GPU-accelerated tsunami simulator for real-time operation. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci. 18(9), 2561–2602 (2018). https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-18-2561-2018. https://www.nat-hazards-earth-syst-sci.net/18/2561/2018/CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Cabinet Office: The investigative commmission on massive earthquake models in nankai trough (2012). http://www.bousai.go.jp/jishin/nankai/model/data_teikyou.html. (In Japanese)
- 3.Christgau, S., Spazier, J., Schnor, B.: A performance and scalability analysis of the tsunami simulation easywave for difference multi-core architectures and programming models. Technical report, Institute for Computer Science, University of Potsdam (2015). http://www.cs.uni-potsdam.de/bs/research/docs/techreports/2015/css15.pdf
- 4.Imamura, F., Anawat, S.: Damage due to the 2011 Tohoku earthquake tsunami and its lessons for future mitigation. In: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Engineering Lessons Learned from the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake, Tokyo, Japan, March 2012Google Scholar
- 5.Inoue, T., Abe, T., Koshimura, S., Musa, A., Murashima, Y., Kobayashi, H.: Development and validation of a tsunami numerical model with the polygonally nested grid system and its MPI-parallelization for real-time tsunami inundation forecast on a regional scale. J. Disaster Res. 14(3), 416–434 (2019). https://doi.org/10.20965/jdr.2019.p0416CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.IUGG/IOC Time Project: IUGG/IOC TIME PROJECT: Numerical method of Tsunami simulation with the leap-frog scheme. UNESCO (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Kobayashi, H.: A case study of urgent computing on SX-ACE: design and development of a real-time tsunami inundation analysis system for disaster prevention and mitigation. In: Resch, M., et al. (eds.) Sustained Simulation Performance 2016, pp. 131–138. Springer, Cham (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-46735-1_11CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Komatsu, K., et al.: Performance evaluation of a vector supercomputer SX-Aurora TSUBASA. In: The International Conference on High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC 2018), pp. 54:1–54:12. IEEE Press, Dallas, USA, November 2018. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3291656.3291728
- 11.Koshiyama, K.: Characteristics of emergency responcy at the great east Japan earthquake. In: 5th International Disaster and Risk Conference Davos 2014 [poster]. Davos, Switzland, August 2014. https://idrc.info/fileadmin/user_upload/idrc/documents/IDRC14_PosterCollection.pdf
- 17.NEC Corporation: NEC Fortran 2003 Programmer’s Guide (2014)Google Scholar
- 19.Okada, Y.: Internal deformation due to shear and tensile faults in a half-space. Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 82(2), 1018–1040 (1992)Google Scholar
- 20.Yamada, Y., Momose, S.: Vector engine processor of NECfs brand-new supercomputer SX-Aurora TSUBASA. In: International symposium on High Performance Chips (Hot Chips), Cupertino, USA, August 2018Google Scholar