A Framework for the Future
- 519 Downloads
The concluding chapter of Marginality and Global LGBT Communities: Conflicts, Civil Rights and Controversy summarizes the significance of the work by emphasizing that the failure to extend equitable civil and political rights to LGBT individuals as well as efforts to reverse gains in such rights will continue to be associated with bias, stigma, and discrimination experienced within this community. The remainder of this chapter will look ahead to the future fight for LGBT rights on individual, local, national, and international fronts. The volume ends with a question. Are we as a society ready to ensure freedom for us all?
- AFP. (2019a, June 14). Brazil Supreme Court criminalizes homophobia [Web log post]. Retrieved from https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/brazil-supreme-court-criminalizes-homophobia/ar-AACSv0A.
- AFP. (2019b, June 14). Brazil’s President says criminalizing homophobia could ‘hurt’ gays [Web log post]. Retrieved from https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/brazils-president-says-criminalizing-homophobia-could-hurt-gays/ar-AACTE1J.
- Allyn, B., & Matia, D. (2019, June 6). NYPD Commissioner apologizes for ‘oppressive’ 1969 raid on Stonewall Inn [Web log post]. Retrieved from https://www.npr.org/2019/06/06/730444495/nypd-commissioner-apologizes-for-oppressive-1969-raid-on-stonewall-inn.
- Arlene’s Flowers, Inc. v. Washington, No. 91615-2 (2017).Google Scholar
- Blow, C. (2019, June 16). It gets better. That’s my testimony [Opinion Editorial]. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/16/opinion/pride-it-gets-better.html.
- Carter, D. (2004). Stonewall: The riots that sparked the gay revolution. New York, NY: St. Martin’s Griffin.Google Scholar
- Cooper, A. (2013, June 6). Anderson Cooper’s exclusive interview with transgender former Navy SEAL Kristen Beck pt. I. CNN Pressroom. Retrieved from http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/06/part-i-of-andersoncoopers-exclusive-interview-with-transgender-former-navy-seal-kristen-beck/.
- EEOC v. R.G. & G.R. Harris Funeral Homes, No. 16-2424 (2018).Google Scholar
- Klein, dba Sweet Cakes by Melissa v. Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries, 289 Or. App. 507 (2017).Google Scholar
- Kushner, J. (2019, May 25). The British Empire’s homophobia lives on in former colonies [Web log post]. Retrieved from https://www.msn.com/en-xl/africa/kenya/the-british-empires-homophobia-lives-on-in-former-colonies/ar-AABTiHA?li=BBKxOeh&MSCC=1544122609&ocid=spartanntp.
- Masterpiece Cakes v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, 584 U.S.__ (more) 138 S. Ct. 1719; 201 L. Ed. 2d35.Google Scholar
- Obergefell v. Hodges, 576 U.S. __ (2015).Google Scholar
- Pidgeon v. Turner, 549 S.W.3d 130 (2016).Google Scholar
- Rivero, N. (2017, June 28). 15 inspiring quotes from LGBT leaders [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://mentalfloss.com/article/502121/15-inspiring-quotes-lgbt-leaders.
- Stern, M. (2019, May 24). The Trump administration releases its plan to let health care providers refuse to treat transgender people [Web log post]. Retrieved from https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/05/trump-administration-releases-plan-to-let-health-care-providers-refuse-to-treat-transgender-people.html.