Managerial Practices of Reducing Food Waste in Supermarkets
- 2k Downloads
Reducing food waste is typically part of a supermarket’s corporate social responsibility (CSR) strategy and includes actions and policies that should satisfy the expectations of diverse stakeholders. Managers are responsible for implementing CSR strategies. However, how and why do supermarket managers engage in supermarket food waste reduction practices has been largely ignored by existing research. Moser draws on qualitative data collected among Dutch supermarket managers and provides implications for theory and practice. First, she shows how managers carry out micro-CSR practices and highlights the important role of knowledge sharing. In practical terms, it is important to share best practices, to share knowledge, to collaborate with external partners, and to engage with governments and non-governmental organisations (NGOs).
KeywordsSupermarkets Food waste chain Food waste practices Supermarket managers Corporate social responsibility Case study Semi-structured interviews Reducing food waste Sharing knowledge
- Mattila, M., Mesiranta, N., Närvänen, E., Koskinen, O., & Sutinen, U. M. (2018). Dances with potential food waste: Organising temporality in food waste reduction practices. Time and Society. https://doi.org/10.1177/0961463X18784123.
- Milieucentraal. (2013). Feiten en cijfers over verspillen van voedsel door consumenten in 2013. Milieucentraal. http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/bestanden/documenten-en-publicaties/brochures/2014/01/29/feiten-en-cijfers-verspilling-voedsel-consumenten-in-2013/factsheet-voedselverspilling-huishoudens-december2013.pdf. Accessed on 6.2.2019.
- Närvänen, E., Mesiranta, N., & Hukkanen, A. (2016). The quest for an empty fridge. In B. Capellini, D. Marshall, & E. Parsons (Eds.), The practice of the meal: Food, families and the market place (pp. 208–219). New York, NY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Smithers, J. (2012). UK retailers fail to meet food and packaging waste pledges. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2012/jan/31/retailers-supply-chain-food-waste. Accessed on 6.3.2019.
- Stenmarck, Å., Jensen, C., Quested, T., & Moates, G. (2016). Estimates of European food waste levels. Fusions EU. https://www.eu-fusions.org/phocadownload/Publications/Estimates%20of%20European%20food%20waste%20levels.pdf. Accessed on 6.3.2019.