Realization of Statically Balanced Articulated Mechanisms and Scotch Yoke Type Balancers
Although numerous gravity balancing schemes had been developed, not too many statically balanced, spatial, articulated mechanisms had been practically implemented. Followed by the brief depiction on the underlined concept of the Scotch yoke type gravity balancer and the virtual-ground scheme, this study emphasizes on the practical design of such a spatial, articulated mechanism and the balancers that it uses. Evolution of our gravity balancer designs is presented and the design issues are discussed. Design problems of the current spatial model are revealed and suggestions for the design improvements of the future models are also included.
KeywordsGravity balancer Articulated mechanism Statically balanced Spatial mechanism Scotch yoke mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was financially supported in part by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Taiwan, under grants MOST 104-2221-E-131-031 and MOST 105-2221-E-131-13.
- 4.Shieh, W. B., and Chou B. S., “A Novel Spring Balancing Device on the Basis of a Scotch Yoke Mechanism”, Proceedings of the 14th IFToMM World Congress, Taipei, Taiwan (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Nguyen, H. N., Shieh, W. B., “On the Design of the Gravity Equlibrator Using Scotch Yoke Derivative Mechanism”, New Advances in Mechanism and Machine Science: Proceedings of the 12th IFToMM International Symposium on Science of Mechanisms and Machines (SYROM 2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Nguyen, N. H., “Design, Manufacturing and Justification of Spatial, Articulated, Gravity-Balancing Manipulators Based on a Novel Spring Type Equlibrator”, M.Sc. Thesis, Ming Chi University of Technology, New Taipei, Taiwan (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.MISUMI Group. Inc., “Mechanical Standard Components”, (catalog), pp. 1-1223 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.HIWIN - T. Information, “Linear Guideway”, (catalog) G99TE19–17, p. 85 (2017)Google Scholar
- 11.SPRINGMING. Co., “Samsol’s Die Spring”, (catalog), pp. 71, 76, 81 (2017)Google Scholar