Manipulating Water and Heat with Nanoengineered Surfaces
- 489 Downloads
Water is a key component in numerous processes impacting our daily lives including thermal management, energy production, and desalination. While significant efforts have been made to improve these processes, recent advancement of nanotechnology has allowed for precise control of surface structuring and chemistry which plays a central role in manipulating water, and thus has realized unprecedented improvement. In this chapter, we review some of the key progress enabled by nanoengineered surfaces for applications in thermal management of electronics, condensation heat transfer for power generation, and water desalination, and provide an outlook for future directions and opportunities.
KeywordsEngineered surfaces Thermal management Water desalination Condensation
- David, M. P., Miler, J., Steinbrenner, J. E., et al. (2011a). Hydraulic and thermal characteristics of a vapor venting two-phase microchannel heat exchanger. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 54, 5504–5516. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2011.07.040.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- David, M. P., Steinbrenner, J. E., Miler, J., & Goodson, K. E. (2011b). Adiabatic and diabatic two-phase venting flow in a microchannel. International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 37, 1135–1146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2011.06.013.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fazeli, A., Mortazavi, M., & Moghaddam, S. (2015). Hierarchical biphilic micro/nanostructures for a new generation phase-change heat sink. Applied Thermal Engineering, 78, 380–386. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2014.12.073.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hetsroni, G., Mosyak, A., Pogrebnyak, E., & Segal, Z. (2005). Explosive boiling of water in parallel micro-channels. International Journal of Multiphase Flow, 31, 371–392. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2005.01.003.CrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- Kakac, S., & Bon, B. (2008). A review of two-phase flow dynamic instabilities in tube boiling systems. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 51, 399–433. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2007.09.026.CrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- Weisensee, P. B., Wang, Y., Hongliang, Q., et al. (2017). Condensate droplet size distribution on lubricant-infused surfaces. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 109, 187–199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.01.119.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wiser, W. (2000). Energy resources—Occurrence, production, conversion, use (1st ed.). New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Xiao, R., Miljkovic, N., Enright, R., & Wang, E. N. (2013). Immersion condensation on oil-infused heterogeneous surfaces for enhanced heat transfer. Scientific Reports, 3. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep01988.
- Yang, F., Dai, X., Peles, Y., et al. (2014a). Flow boiling phenomena in a single annular flow regime in microchannels (I): Characterization of flow boiling heat transfer. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 68, 703–715. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2013.09.058.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yang, F., Dai, X., Peles, Y., et al. (2014b). Flow boiling phenomena in a single annular flow regime in microchannels (II): Reduced pressure drop and enhanced critical heat flux. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 68, 716–724. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2013.09.060.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang, T., Peles, Y., Wen, J. T., et al. (2010). Analysis and active control of pressure-drop flow instabilities in boiling microchannel systems. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 53, 2347–2360. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2010.02.005.CrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar