Being Inclusive: Is It Possible a Blind Person Learn Playing Guitar in an [Really] Accessible App?
This study was made over some database of accessibility principles, to investigate the state of the art of contemporary design topics about accessibility in mobile applications, while comparing the WCAG 2.1 and the Guide for Development of Accessible Mobile Applications (GUAMA) in a case study with the Samsung Áudio Acordes (Chords), an app developed for teaching guitar for blind people. The results will serve to propose revisions/new protocols which allow to evaluate and sketch more accessible versions of these kind of digital products, helping development teams, designers, testers, etc., to improve the experiences for users with disabilities into new more accessible mobile applications.
KeywordsSamsung Audio Acordes Accessibility Mobile Application Digital interface
The results presented in this paper have been developed as part of a collaborative project between Samsung Institute for Development of Informatics (Samsung/SIDI) and the Centre of Informatics at the Federal University of Pernambuco (CIn/UFPE), financed by Samsung Eletronica da Amazonia Ltda., under the auspices of the Brazilian Federal Law of Informatics no. 8248/91. The authors would like to thank the support received from the Samsung/SIDI team. Professor Fabio Q. B. da Silva holds a research grant from the Brazilian National Research Council (CNPq), process #314523/2009-0.
- 1.Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 (2018). https://www.w3.org/tr/wcag21/
- 2.Guide to the Development of Accessible Mobile Applications (2018). http://sidi.org.br/guiadeacessibilidade/en/index.html#inicio
- 3.Budiu, R.: The State of Mobile User Experience (2018). https://www.nngroup.com/articles/state-mobile-ux/
- 4.Norman, D.: Principles of Human-centered Design (2018). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmM0kRf8Dbk
- 5.Nielsen, J.: The Need for Web Design Standards (2004). https://www.nngroup.com/articles/the-need-for-web-design-standards/?lm=ten-usability-heuristics&Pt=Article
- 6.Nielsen, J.: Accessible Design for Users With Disabilities. Nngroup Initiative (1996). https://www.nngroup.com/articles/accessible-design-for-users-with-disabilities
- 7.Kapsi, M., Vlachogiannis, E., Darzentas, J., Spyrou, T.: The usability of web accessibility guidelines: an approach for evaluation. In: Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction - Applications and Services. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction (Part III), HCI International 2009, vol. 7, pp. 716–724. Springer, Heidelberg (2009). Research GateGoogle Scholar
- 8.Nielsen, J.: Alternative Interfaces For Accessibility (2003). https://www.nngroup.com/articles/alternative-interfaces-for-accessibility
- 9.Nielsen, J.: Enhancing the explanatory power of usability heuristics. In: Proceedings of ACM CHI 1994 Conference, pp. 152–158 (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Nielsen, J.: Heuristic evaluation. In: Nielsen, J., Mack, R.L. (eds.) Usability Inspection Methods. Wiley, New York (1994)Google Scholar
- 11.Nielsen, J.: 10 Usability Heuristics for User Interface Design (1995). https://www.nngroup.com/articles/ten-usability-heuristics
- 12.Bomfim, G.A.: Notas De Aula Sobre Design E Estética. Laboratório De Representação Sensível, Departamento De Artes E Design, PUC-Rio, Rio de Janeiro (2001). (in Portuguese)Google Scholar
- 13.Nielsen, J.: Disabled Accessibility: The Pragmatic Approach (1999). https://www.nngroup.com/articles/disabled-accessibility-the-pragmatic-approach
- 14.Martin L.: Designing Effective Infographics (2018). https://www.nngroup.com/articles/designing-effective-infographics/
- 15.Pernice, K.: Design Systems and Their Benefits (2018). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TpiNrZlzt4
- 16.Jordan, P.W.: An Introduction to Usability. CRC Press, Boca Raton (1998)Google Scholar
- 17.Leventhal, L., Barnes, J.: Usability Engineering: Process, Products & Examples. Pearson, London (2008)Google Scholar
- 18.Nielsen, J.: Browser and GUI Chrome (2012). https://www.nngroup.com/articles/browser-and-gui-chrome
- 19.Samsung Áudio Acordes (2018). https://www.samsung.com.br/audioacordes