Optimizing Color-Based Cooperative Caching in Telco-CDNs by Using Real Datasets
- 569 Downloads
Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) play a vital role in efficient content distribution inside the Internet to reduce network traffic and improve users’ experience. Because CDNs are usually located outside Internet Service Providers (ISPs), they cannot decrease traffic inside ISPs and on peering links between ISPs and CDNs. Hence, there is a considerable need to deploy CDNs inside ISPs to tackle this issue. Additionally, these CDNs are called Telco-CDNs since we are in the control of ISPs. Traditional caching policies widely used in CDNs can be applied to Telco-CDNs. Nonetheless, the policies are inefficient in the context of Telco-CDNs in that network operators of CDNs have no knowledge of underlying network infrastructure while those of Telco-CDNs do. The fact leads to the emergence of caching algorithms in Telco-CDNs. Color-based caching strategy together with its routing algorithm is regarded as the most effective one with acceptable computation overhead. In principle, contents will be assigned to color tags and periodically re-colorized every interval in the approach. Since the previous study used a simulated dataset following gamma distribution, the characteristics of this dataset did not change every interval. For that reason, there was no experiment to verify the efficiency of the algorithm when the characteristics of the dataset varied. In this paper, we conduct numerous experiments to look the aspect over. The experimental results show that not only the color-based approach still remains prominently effective in comparison with Least Frequently Used (LFU) every interval, but also the strategy with periodical re-colorization outperforms the one without re-colorization. Moreover, the prior research only took account of users’ interests in a global manner rather than geographically local regions, which is difficult to attain the optimizing traffic reduction. Thus, we also propose an iteration of the color-based caching strategy by making use of the insight of users’ preference based on regional areas to optimize traffic. The experimental findings reveal that traffic can considerably be reduced for all local areas, especially by up to 27.3%. To sum up, the proposed extension of the color-based caching strategy surpasses the traditional color-based one in practice.
KeywordsCo-operative caching Sub-optimal content placement Hybrid caching Routing algorithm Dynamic content popularity
This research was conducted within the project of Studying collaborative caching algorithms in content delivery network sponsored by TIS (IT Holding Group).
- 1.Website Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology. http://www.hcmut.edu.vn/. Accessed 27 Aug 2018
- 2.Arteta, A., Barán, B., Pinto, D.: Routing and wavelength assignment over WDM optical networks: a comparison between MOACOs and classical approaches. In: Proceedings of the 4th International IFIP/ACM Latin American Conference on Networking, pp. 53–63. ACM (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Einziger, G., Friedman, R., Manes, B.: TinyLFU: a highly efficient cache admission policy. ACM Trans. Storage (TOS) 13(4), 35 (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Li, W., Li, Y., Wang, W., Xin, Y., Xu, Y.: A collaborative caching scheme with network clustering and hash-routing in CCN. In: 2016 IEEE 27th Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), pp. 1–7. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Nakajima, T., Yoshimi, M., Wu, C., Yoshinaga, T.: A light-weight content distribution scheme for cooperative caching in Telco-CDNs. In: 2016 Fourth International Symposium on Computing and Networking (CANDAR), pp. 126–132. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar
- 12.Tran, A.T.N., Nguyen, M.T., Diep, T.D., Nakajima, T., Thoai, N.: A performance study of color-based cooperative caching in Telco-CDNs by using real datasets. In: Proceedings of the Ninth International Symposium on Information and Communication Technology. ACM (2018, to appear)Google Scholar
- 13.Wang, Z., Jiang, H., Sun, Y., Li, J., Liu, J., Dutkiewicz, E.: A k-coordinated decentralized replica placement algorithm for the ring-based CDN-P2P architecture. In: The IEEE symposium on Computers and Communications, pp. 811–816. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Wong, W.A., Baer, J.L.: Modified LRU policies for improving second-level cache behavior. In: 2000 Proceedings of Sixth International Symposium on High-Performance Computer Architecture, HPCA-6, pp. 49–60. IEEE (2000)Google Scholar
- 16.Yin, H., Liu, X., Qiu, F., Xia, N., Lin, C., Zhang, H., Sekar, V., Min, G.: Inside the bird’s nest: measurements of large-scale live VoD from the 2008 olympics. In: Proceedings of the 9th ACM SIGCOMM Conference on Internet Measurement, pp. 442–455. ACM (2009)Google Scholar
- 17.Yu, H., Zheng, D., Zhao, B.Y., Zheng, W.: Understanding user behavior in large-scale video-on-demand systems. In: ACM SIGOPS Operating Systems Review, vol. 40, pp. 333–344. ACM (2006)Google Scholar