The European Union in a Changing World Order: What Is at Stake?
This introductory chapter aims to shed light on how tightly the EU and the liberal international order are entwined and discuss the likely impact on the EU of a changing and, most likely, less liberal world order. The chapter discusses the concept of order in international politics and analyses how the liberal order that emerged after WWII has effected the development of the EU. The chapter introduces the book’s interdisciplinary, holistic approach, and discusses how a changing world order is affecting the EU and how the EU, in turn, is trying to shape the emerging new order by recalibrating its policies and actions in various domains, ranging from its relations with the rest of the world, the relations among the member states and EU institutions as well as the impact of the EU’s current and future policies. Finally, the chapter highlights that the EU needs to actively defend the values and principles of liberal democracy in a changing world order.
- Anderson, J. J., Ikenberry, G. J., & Risse, T. (Eds.). (2008). The End of the West?: Crisis and Change in the Atlantic Order. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Bakardijeva Engelbrekt, A., Michalski, A., Nilsson, N., & Oxelheim, L. (Eds.). (2018a). The European Union: Facing the Challenge of Multiple Security Threats. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing.Google Scholar
- Bakardijeva Engelbrekt, A., Bremberg, N., Michalski, A., & Oxelheim, L. (Eds.). (2018b). Trust in the European Union in Challenging Times. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Barroso, J. M. (2010). The European Union and Multilateral Global Governance. Speech at the European University Institute. Retrieved October 16, 2018, from http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SPEECH-10-322_en.htm.
- Bernitz, U., Mårtensson, M., Oxelheim, L., & Persson, T. (Eds.). (2018). Bridging the Prosperity Gap in the EU. Cheltenham: Edgar Elgar Publishing.Google Scholar
- Bull, H. (2012 ). The Anarchical Society: A Study of Order in World Politics (4th ed.). London: Macmillan International Higher Education.Google Scholar
- Checkel, J. T. (Ed.). (2007). International Institutions and Socialization in Europe. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- De Burca, G. (2003). Beyond the Charter: How Enlargement Has Enlarged the Human Rights Policy of the European Union. Fordham International Law Journal, 27(2), 679–714.Google Scholar
- Dinan, D. (1994). Ever Closer Union: An Introduction to European Integration. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- European Union. (2016). Shared Vision, Common Action: A Stronger Europe. A Global Strategy for the European Union’s Foreign and Security Policy. Retrieved October 16, 2018, from http://eeas.europa.eu/archives/docs/top_stories/pdf/eugs_review_web.pdf.
- Fukuyama, F. (2012 ). The End of History and the Last Man. London: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Gilpin, R. (1983). War and Change in World Politics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Ikenberry, G. J. (2011). The Future of the Liberal World Order: Internationalism After America. Foreign Affairs, 90, 56–68. (May/June Issue).Google Scholar
- Linz, J. J., & Stepan, A. (1996). Problems of Democratic Transition and Consolidation: Southern Europe, South America, and Post-Communist Europe. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Manners, I. (2002). Normative Power Europe: A Contradiction in Terms? JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies, 40(2), 235–258.Google Scholar
- Meunier, S. (2005). Trading Voices: The European Union in International Commercial Negotiations. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Michalski, A. (2014). The Enlarging European Union. In D. Dinan (Ed.), Origins and Evolution of the European Union (2nd ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Michalski, A., & Wallace, H. (1993). The European Community: The Challenge of Enlargement. London: Royal Institute of International Affairs.Google Scholar
- Schimmelfennig, F., & Sedelmeier, U. (Eds.). (2005). The Europeanization of Central and Eastern Europe. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Slaughter, A. M. (2009). A New World Order. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Teigland, R., Holmberg, H., & Felländer, A. (2018). The Importance of Trust in a Digital Europe: Reflections on the Sharing Economy and Blockchains. In A. Bakardijeva Engelbrekt, N. Bremberg, A. Michalski, & L. Oxelheim (Eds.), Trust in the European Union in Challenging Times. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Tsoukalis, L. (1997). The New European Economy Revisited. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Van Vooren, B., Blockmans, S., & Wouters, J. (Eds.). (2013). The EU’s Role in Global Governance: The Legal Dimension. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Waltz, K. N. (2010 ). Theory of International Politics. Long Grove, IL: Waveland Press.Google Scholar