Nonpharmacologic Approaches to Pain Management with IUD Insertion
- 163 Downloads
Nonpharmacologic modalities for pain and anxiety prevention and management related to IUD insertion are numerous, and many are easy to use. These modalities, ranging from diaphragmatic breathing to acupuncture, have the potential to support adolescent and young adult patients in combination with pharmacologic modalities—or on their own when pharmacological modalities are contraindicated, ineffective, or unavailable. This chapter will describe the range of nonpharmacologic treatment options available for IUD-related pain, and discuss how to integrate nonpharmacologic treatment options for adolescents and young adults for pain management in to your clinical practice.
KeywordsAdolescent Young adult IUD Nonpharmacologic Acupuncture Acupressure Aromatherapy Pain management Isometric exercises Diaphragmatic breathing Hypnotic language Music Heat IUD doula
Adolescent and Young Adult
School-Based Health Center
- 2.Harvard Health Publishing. Learning diaphragmatic breathing – Harvard Health. In: Harvard Health [Internet]. [cited 2 Dec 2018]. Available: https://www.health.harvard.edu/lung-health-and-disease/learning-diaphragmatic-breathing.
- 6.No more fainting in your practice [Internet]. [cited 2 Dec 2018]. Available: https://providers.bedsider.org/articles/no-more-fainting-in-your-practice.
- 7.Hypnosis – Mayo Clinic [Internet]. 1 Nov 2018 [cited 2 Dec 2018]. Available: https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/hypnosis/about/pac-20394405.
- 10.Bradt J, Dileo C, Shim M. Music interventions for preoperative anxiety. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013:CD006908.Google Scholar
- 17.Ndubisi C, Danvers A, Gold MA, Morrow L, Westhoff CL. Auricular acupuncture as an adjunct for pain management during first trimester abortion: a randomized, double-blinded, three arm trial. Contraception. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2018.11.016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Warren L, Passmore RC. Educational handout on spleen 6 for SBHC patients. 2018.Google Scholar
- 25.Holmes P. About aroma acupoint therapy TM [Internet]. 2011 [cited 2 Dec 2018]. Available: http://www.snowlotus.org/about-aroma-acupoint-therapy-tm/.