The Enabling Role for Technology in the Support of Care Coordination in Health Care
- 440 Downloads
Especially in a value-based healthcare environment, there is increasing pressure to deliver efficient and effective care. To do so necessitates focus on care coordination. Technology is an enabler for effective and efficient care coordination. This chapter presents a systematic literature review which underscores the role for technology to support care coordination, in so doing a key void; the lack of a care coordination framework is identified. The chapter thus proffers an appropriate framework and concludes with implications and recommendations for theory and practice.
KeywordsValue-based care Care coordination Reduce waste Payment systems Patient-centered
- Berwick, D. M., & Hackbarth, A. D. (2012). Eliminating waste in US health care. JAMA, 1513–1516. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.362.
- Berwick, D. M., Nolan, T. W., & Whittington, J. (2008). The triple aim: Care, health, and cost. Health Affairs, 27. Retrieved from https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/hlthaff.27.3.759.
- Bush, R. (2007). Reducing waste in US health care systems. JAMA Network, 297, 871–874.Google Scholar
- Callahan, D. (2008). Health care costs and medical technology. The Hastings Center. Retrieved from https://www.thehastingscenter.org/briefingbook/health-care-costs-and-medical-technology/
- Chee, T. T., Tyan, A. M., Wasfy, J. H., & Borden, W. B. (2017). Current state of value-based purchasing programs. HHS Author Manuscripts, 2197–2205. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5378385/
- Claborn, K., Becker, S., Ramsey, S., Rich, J., & Friedmann, P. D. (2017). Mobile technology intervention to improve care coordination between HIV and substance use treatment providers: Development, training, and evaluation protocol. Addiction Science & Clinical Practice, 12(1), 8.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- CMS.gov. (2017, June 14). NHE fact sheet. Retrieved from Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services: https://www.cms.gov/research-statistics-data-and-systems/statistics-trends-and-reports/nationalhealthexpenddata/nhe-fact-sheet.html
- Davis, K., Stremikis, K., Schoen, C., & Squires, D. (2015). Mirror, mirror on the wall, 2014 update: How the US health care system compares internationally. The Commonwealth Fund, June 2014. Google Scholar.Google Scholar
- Friedman, A., Howard, J., Shaw, E. K., Cohen, D. J., Shahidi, L., & Ferrante, J. M. (2016). Facilitators and barriers to care coordination in patient-centered medical homes (PCMHs) from coordinators’ perspectives. The Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, 29(1), 90–101.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gibbings, R. A. (2017). The impact of care coordination strategies in health information systems on health care outcomes. Chicago: University of Illinois.Google Scholar
- Hussey, P. S., Wetheimer, S., & Mehrota, A. (2013). The association between health care quality and cost: A systematic review. American College of Physicians. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23277898
- Kersten, S. (2013). Moving the needle toward a data-driven health care system: Optimizing the EHR through information governance. Health Information Management. https://www.coursehero.com/file/27194990/Article-Review-3pptx/
- Lindberg, B., Nilsson, C., Zotterman, D., Söderberg, S., & Skär, L. (2013). Using information and communication technology in home care for communication between patients, family members, and healthcare professionals: A systematic review. International Journal of Telemedicine and Applications, 2013, 1–31.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McDonald, K., Sundaram, V., Bravata, D., Lewis, R., Lin, N., Kraft, S., et al. (2007). Closing the quality gap: A critical analysis of quality improvement strategies (Vol. 7: Care coordination). NCBI. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20734531
- Mulero, A. (2017, February 15). CMS: Medical prices, aging population to speed up health spending growth. Retrieved May 14, 2018, from healthcaredive.com: https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/cms-medical-prices-aging-population-to-speed-up-health-spending-growth/436285/
- Øvretveit, J. (2011). Evidence: Does clinical coordination improve quality and save money? (Vol. 1). London: The Health Foundation.Google Scholar
- Porter, M. E. (2010). What is value in health care? The New England Journal of Medicine, 2477–2481. Retrieved from http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1011024.
- Raghupathi, W., & Raghupathi, V. (2014). Big data analytics in healthcare: Promise and potential. Health Information Science and Systems. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4341817/
- Samal, L., Dykes, P. C., Greenberg, J., Hasan, O., Venkatesh, A. K., Volk, L. A., & Bates, D. W. (2013). The current capabilities of health information technology to support care transitions. In AMIA... Annual symposium proceedings. AMIA symposium (Vol. 2013, pp. 1231–1231). American Medical Informatics Association.Google Scholar
- Stephan, C., Popejoy, L. L., Mehr, D. R., Rahmani, E., Wilkinson, K., & Simoes, E. (2015). Using the consolidated framework for implementation research (CFIR) to evaluate EHR population health management tools.In AMIA. http://toc.proceedings.com/28699webtoc.pdf
- Tricco, A. C., Antony, J., Ivers, N. M., Ashoor, H. M., Khan, P. A., Blondal, E., et al. (2014). Effectiveness of quality improvement strategies for coordination of care to reduce use of health care services: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 186(15), E568–E578.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Turvey, C., Klein, D., Fix, G., Hogan, T. P., Woods, S., Simon, S. R., et al. (2014). Blue Button use by patients to access and share health record information using the Department of Veterans Affairs’ online patient portal. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 21(4), 657–663.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ward, B., Schiller, J., & Goodman, R. (2014). Multiple chronic conditions among US adults: A 2012 update. Preventing Chronic Disease. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24742395
- Wheatley, B. (2013). Transforming care delivery through health information technology. The Permanente Journal. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3627785/
- Zwar, N., Harris, M., Griffiths, R., Roland, M., Dennis, S., Powell Davies, G., & Hasan, I. (2017). A systematic review of chronic diseasemanagement. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5759778/