Disturbance Management and Information Availability in Public Transport, with Focus on Scania County, Sweden
In order for people to choose public transport over private car usage, public transport systems must be both reliable and accessible, which is not always the case today. Based on interviews with public transport actors, this paper investigates the missing information and communication flows during unplanned disturbances in the public transport system of southern Sweden. Two potential solution approaches to supply the missing information are also identified: an information system common for all public transport actors in the region, and a traveler check-in system, providing traveler specific information to the actors. The information requirements of both systems, and their potential benefits, are presented. The primary objective of the study is to improve the possibilities for both actors and travelers to act during unplanned disturbances by more efficient information sharing and better traveler information.
KeywordsPublic transport Information systems Information flow Traveler information
This research was done in collaboration with K2—The Swedish Knowledge Centre for Public Transport.
- Jevinger, Å., and Persson, J. A. (2016). Information-based Disturbance Management for Public Transport, project report 1. http://www.k2centrum.se/sites/default/files/fields/field_uppladdad_rapport/information-based_disturbance_management_for_public_transport_2016_15.pdf.
- Mejía, J. A. S., Gutiérrez, A. A. O., & Mejía, S. E. (2015). Technological web platform for integrated public transport system (SITP) of the West Center Metropolitan Area in Colombia. In Proceedings of the 2015 CHILEAN Conference on Electrical, Electronics Engineering, Information and Communication Technologies. Santiago, Chile.Google Scholar
- Ronald, N., Thompson, R., Haasz, J., & Winter, S. (2013). Determining the viability of a demand-responsive transport system under varying demand scenarios. In Proceedings of the 6th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on Computational Transportation Science. Orlando, USA.Google Scholar
- Sveriges Riksdag. (2015). Lag (2015:953) om kollektivtrafikresenärers rättigheter. https://www.riksdagen.se/sv/Dokument-Lagar/Lagar/Svenskforfattningssamling/Lag-2015953-om-kollektivtra_sfs-2015-953/?bet=2015:953.
- Törnquist, J. (2006). Computer-based decision support for railway traffic scheduling and dispatching: A review of models and algorithms. In Proceedings of Algorithmic Methods and Models for Optimization of Railways. Zürich, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- Trafikanalys. (2014). Local and regional public transport, statistic rapport 2015:20. http://www.trafa.se/globalassets/statistik/kollektivtrafik/lokal-och-regional-kollektivtrafik-2014.pdf.