New Perspectives in Performance Management: Appraising Employees Based on Computer Usage Patterns
- 343 Downloads
With or without their will, all nowadays organizations are involved in the daily quest for improving their organizational performance. Just as true, all organizations realize that people, their knowledge and skills are the most valuable resource an organization has. As a result, many of the organizational efforts are focused on enhancing the performance level of their own individuals and teams on efficiently assigning and evaluating work, on providing correct performance feedback for all employees, on determining complementary training and development needs and finally on distributing rewards based on meritocracy.
In such a context, the present article focuses on a new method for evaluating employees’ performances, based on technology driven indicators. The genesis of the article binds on an analytical research started in the context of the finding that the vast majority of employees of today’s modern organizations use the computer in their day-to-day work. As such, the use of computers facilitates capturing the entire activity of the employee for longer periods of time, so the captured information can be carefully analyzed in order to spot patterns which could have potentially driven the top performers’ results.
The aim of the research is to find a way to apply the patterns found in top performers’ behavior to all the other employees and analyses the gapping data trying to propose ways to either improve their performance, or simply reduce the gap between them and the top performers.
KeywordsPerformance management Employees’ appraisal Appraisal methods Computer patterns Behavior patterns
- Amnasan R, Candea D. Assessing corporate sustainability. In: Popescu S, Brad S, Popescu D, editors. Proceedings of the 1st international conference: “quality and innovation in engineering and management”. Cluj-Napoca: U.T. Press; 2011. p. 39.Google Scholar
- Balinisteanu O. Depresia – un flagel al secolului XXI. Ziarul Lumina; 2014. Source: http://ziarullumina.ro/depresia-un-flagel-al-secolului-xxi-95121.html. Consulted at: 06.10.2018.
- Constantin T. Evaluarea psihologica a personalului. Iasi: Editura Polirom; 2004. p. 144.Google Scholar
- Constantin T, Stoica-Constantin A. Managementul Resurselor Umane: ghid practic si instrumente pentru responsabilii de resurse umane si manageri. Iasi: Editura Institutul European; 2002. p. 66.Google Scholar
- Csikszentmihalyi M. Flux - psihologia fericirii. Bucuresti: Editura Publica; 2015. pp. 23, 26, 28, 30, 44.Google Scholar
- Currey M. Daily rituals. London: Pan Macmillan; 2013.Google Scholar
- Daniels AC. Managementul performanţei: strategii de obţinere a rezultatelor maxime de la angajaţi. Iasi: Editura Polirom; 2007. pp. 48, 203, 225, 226.Google Scholar
- Dědina J, Cejthamr V. Management and organizational behavior. Prague: Grada Publishing; 2005.Google Scholar
- Grigore D. Online video material, TV Cluj-AM.ro, Psihologie si Viata - invitat Dumitru Grigore. 2018. Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pak3_PjHPYg. Consulted at: 03.10.2018.
- Irrgang B. Technology transfer and modernization. What can philosophers of technology contribute? 2007. Ubiquity internet article, source: https://ubiquity.acm.org/article.cfm?id=1331965. Consulted at: 01.10.2018.
- Kateřina V, Andrea Š, Gabriela K. Identification of employee performance appraisal methods in agricultural organizations. J Compet. 2013;5(2):20–36. ISSN 1804-1728 (On-line), source: http://www.cjournal.cz/files/131.pdf. consulted at 01.10.2018.
- Khairina DM, Asrian MR, Hatta HR. Decision support system for new employee recruitment using weighted product method. 3rd International Conference on Information Technology, Computer, and Electrical Engineering (ICITACEE). Semarang: IEEE; 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICITACEE.2016.7892459.
- Klausner SZ. A collocation of concepts of self-control. In: Klausner SZ, editors. The quest for self-control: Classical philosophies and scientific research. New York: Free Press; 1965. p. 9–45.Google Scholar
- Lewis D. Romanian audit manager for E&Y dies allegedly of overworking. 2007. Online article, source: https://www.liquidmatrix.org/blog/2007/04/26/romanian-audit-manager-for-ey-dies-allegedly-of-overworking/. Consulted at: 06.10.2018.
- Lopez A. 4 types of employee performance evaluations. 2015. Online article, source: https://rmi-solutions.com/blog/the-affect-of-new-overtime-regulations/. Consulted at: 03.10.2018.
- Matejka J, Grossman T, Fitzmaurice G. Patina: dynamic heatmaps for visualizing application usage. CHI: changing perspectives, Paris, France; session: information visualization. 2013.Google Scholar
- Meredith BR. Design innovation and the team. Des Manag J. 1991;2(3). www.dmi.org. Reprint #9123BEL38.
- Milligan L. 5 common performance review methods. 2016. Online article, source: https://www.webpt.com/blog/post/5-common-performance-review-methods. Consulted at: 03.10.2018.
- Mirica CO. Assessment of employments: an essential process in increasing the efficiency of human capital use within the Romanian health-care facilities. In: Vaduva S, et al., editors. Solutions for business, culture and religion in Eastern Europe and beyond. Cham: Springer; 2018. p. 31–7. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-63369-5_3.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mostert NM. Belbin – the way forward for innovation teams. J Creat Bus Innov. 2015;1. www.journalcbi.com.
- Newport C. Deep work. Rules for focused success in a distracted world. New York: Grand Central Publishing, Hachette Book Group; 2016.Google Scholar
- Newquist C. Did a PwC auditor work herself to death? 2011. Online article, source: https://goingconcern.com/did-a-pwc-auditor-work-herself-to-death/. Consulted at: 06.10.2018.
- Panisoara G. Managementul resurselor umane: ghid practic. Iasi: Editura Polirom; 2005. p. 147.Google Scholar
- Pitariu HD. Managementul resurselor umane. Evaluarea performantelor profesionale. Bucuresti: Editura All Beck; 2000. p. 293.Google Scholar
- Pitariu HD. Proiectarea fiselor de post, evaluarea posturilor de munca si a personalului. Ghid practic pentru manageri. Cluj-Napoca: Editura Sinapsis; 2014. p. 173.Google Scholar
- Randhawa G. Human resource management. New Delhi: Atlantic Publishers and Distributors; 2007.Google Scholar
- Talpos M-F, Pop IG, Vaduva S, Kovacs L. Talent management and the quest for effective succession management in the knowledge based economy. Proceedings of the 5th Annual Griffiths School of Management International Conference: “the ethics of business and leadership in a transdisciplinary context”, Oradea, Romania. 2014.Google Scholar
- Torralba F. Inteligenta spirituala. Bucuresti: Editura Curtea Veche; 2012.Google Scholar
- Vac GI. Adaptive reference system: a tool for measuring managerial performance. Stud Univ Babes-Bolyai Inform. 2015;60(1):63–78.Google Scholar
- Vac GI, Pârv B, Lups,e V. A computational perspective of the organizational culture evaluation. Stud Univ Babes-Bolyai Inform. 2016;61(2):21–35.Google Scholar