Characterizing Web Pornography Consumption from Passive Measurements
Web pornography represents a large fraction of the Internet traffic, with thousands of websites and millions of users. Studying web pornography consumption allows understanding human behaviors and it is crucial for medical and psychological research. However, given the lack of public data, these works typically build on surveys, limited by different factors, e.g., unreliable answers that volunteers may (involuntarily) provide.
In this work, we collect anonymized accesses to pornography websites using HTTP-level passive traces. Our dataset includes about \(15\,000\) broadband subscribers over a period of 3 years. We use it to provide quantitative information about the interactions of users with pornographic websites, focusing on time and frequency of use, habits, and trends. We distribute our anonymized dataset to the community to ease reproducibility and allow further studies.
KeywordsPassive measurements Web pornography Adult content User behaviour Network monitoring
- 1.Anonymized datasaset of visits to webpages belonging to web pornographic domains, obtained from network passive measurements (2018). https://smartdata.polito.it/adult-clickstreams/
- 7.Fan, J., Xu, J., Ammar, M.H.: Crypto-pan: Cryptography-based prefix-preserving anonymization. Comput. Netw. 46(2), 253–272 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Fomitchev, M.I.: How Google analytics and conventional cookie tracking techniques overestimate unique visitors. In: Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on World Wide Web, pp. 1093–1094 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Joshua, G., Joshua, W., Julie, E., Kenneth, P., Shane, K.: Moral disapproval and perceived addiction to internet pornography: a longitudinal examination. Addiction 113(3), 496–506 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Lewontin, R.C.: Sex, lies, and social science. N. Y. Rev. Books 42(7), 24–29 (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.Ortiz, F., Castañeda, V., Baeza-Yates, R., Verschae, R., del Solar, J.R.: Characterizing objectionable image content (pornography and nude images) of specific web segments: Chile as a case study. In: Web Congress, Latin American(LA-WEB), pp. 269–278 (2005)Google Scholar
- 16.Trevisan, M., Giordano, D., Drago, I., Mellia, M., Munafo, M.: Five years at the edge: watching internet from the ISP network. In: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Emerging Networking EXperiments and Technologies, pp. 1–12. CoNEXT 2018. ACM, New York (2018). https://doi.org/10.1145/3281411.3281433
- 19.Vassio, L., Drago, I., Mellia, M.: Detecting user actions from HTTP traces: toward an automatic approach. In: 2016 International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC), pp. 50–55 (2016)Google Scholar