Design of Urban Block
Today design of urban block as the basic element of urban fabric is getting more and more important. In this chapter, in which its method is mainly based on local field studies in Iran and Berlin, I will try in brief to describe and analyze the production of urban blocks. The study discusses morphologically four types of urban blocks in Iran from distant past to the present, considering the influence of West, after modernism, and policy for the future. It also discusses an experience of Berlin renewing urban block and the integration of three existing buildings and the independence of the new buildings.
KeywordsUrban block Basic forms Past present future Global and local experience
- City-Projekte/City centre projects (1995) BerlinGoogle Scholar
- First projects in careful urban renewal (1984) International Building Exhibition BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Panerai P, Castex J, Depaule JC, Samules I (2005) Urban forms, the death and life of the urban block, English edn. Architectural Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Tavassoli M (2016) Urban structure in the hot arid environments. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- Tavassoli M et al (2000) Urban design kargar street Tehran. Ministry of Housing and Urban Development, Urban Development and Revitalization CorporationGoogle Scholar