Cultural Considerations in School Psychopharmacology
Mental health providers who use multimodal treatment approaches that combine both psychosocial and psychopharmacological treatments should take into consideration sociocultural factors when addressing mental health disparities. This chapter highlights the sociocultural context of the child and family when developing treatment plans that involve psychopharmacological intervention. First, we provide an overview of notable sociocultural factors that should be considered when working with ethnic minority and/or immigrant children and families. Second, we include a brief primer on cultural psychiatry and the integration of clinical services with school support. Lastly, we discuss recommendations for school personnel when providing mental health services to diverse children and families, with a focus on psychopharmacological treatment for children. A set of references and web-based materials are provided to readers for additional information.
KeywordsCultural psychopharmacology Cultural psychiatry Racial disparities Sociocultural context Treatment acceptability Stigma Integrated care
- Achenbach System of Empircally Based Assessment (ASEBA). (2009). Group 1, 2, and 3 societies for CBCL, TRF, and YSR problem scales. Retrieved May 12, 2009, from http://www.aseba.org/products/Groups.html.
- Alcántara, C., & Gone, J. P. (2014). Multicultural issues in the clinical interview and diagnostic process. In F. T. Leong, L. Comas-Díaz, G. C. Nagayama Hall, V. C. McLoyd & J. E. Trimble (Eds.), APA handbook of multicultural psychology (Vol. 2: Applications and Training). Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association.Google Scholar
- Arcia, E., Fernandez, M. C., & Jaquez, M. (2004). Latina mothers’ stances on stimulant medication: Complexity, conflict, and compromise. Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 25, 311–317.Google Scholar
- Berry, J. W., Poortinga, Y. H., Segall, M. H., & Dasen, P. R. (2002). Cross-cultural psychology: Research and applications (2nd ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Coker, T. R., Elliott, M. N., Kanouse, D. E., Grunbaum, J. A., Schwebel, D. C., Gilliland, M. J., et al. (2009). Perceived racial/ethnic discrimination among fifth-grade students and its association with mental health. American Journal of Public Health, 99, 878–884. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2008.144329.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Colby, S. L., & Ortman, J. M. (2015). Projections of the size and composition of the U.S. population: 2014 and 2060. Retrieved from https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2015/demo/p25-1143.pdf.
- Frazier, T. W., Youngstrom, E. A., Haycook, T., Sinoff, A., Dimitriou, F., Knapp, J., et al. (2010). Effectiveness of medication combined with intensive behavioral intervention for reducing aggression in youth with autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, 20, 167–177.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Heflinger, C. A., Wallston, K. A., Mukolo, A., & Brannan, A. M. (2014). Perceived stigma toward children with emotional and behavioral problems and their families: The Attitudes about Child Mental Health Questionnaire (ACMHQ). Journal of Rural Mental Health, 38, 9–19. https://doi.org/10.1037/rmh0000010.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hinshaw, S. P., Arnold, L. E., & M. T. A. Cooperative Group. (2015). Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, multimodal treatment, and longitudinal outcome: Evidence, paradox, and challenge. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Cognitive Science, 6, 39–52. https://doi.org/10.1002/wcs.1324.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nafees, B., Setyawan, J., Lloyd, A., Ali, S., Hearn, S., Sasane, R., et al. (2014). Parent preferences regarding stimulant therapies for ADHD: A comparison across six European countries. European Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 23, 1189–1200. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00787-013-0515-6.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Pham, A. V., Goforth, A. N., Chun, H., Castro-Olivo, S., & Costa, A. (2017). Acculturation and help-seeking behavior in consultation: A sociocultural framework for mental health service. Journal of Educational and Psychological Consultation, 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1080/10474412.2017.1287574.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Piacentini, J., Bennett, S., Compton, S. N., Kendall, P. C., Birmaher, B., Albano, A. M., et al. (2014). 24- and 36-week outcomes for the Child/Adolescent Anxiety Multimodal Study (CAMS). Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 53, 297–310. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaac.2013.11.010.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rhodes, R. L., Ochoa, S. H., & Ortiz, S. O. (2005). Assessing culturally and linguistically diverse students: A practical guide. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Smedley, B. D., Stith, A. Y., & Nelson, A. R. (2012). Unequal treatment: Confronting racial and ethnic disparities in health care. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.Google Scholar
- United States Department of Health and Human Services. (2001). Mental health: Culture, race, and ethnicity—A supplement to mental health: A report of the Surgeon General. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Mental Health Services.Google Scholar
- Visser, S. N., Danielson, M. L., Bitsko, R. H., Holbrook, J. R., Kogan, M. D., Ghandour, R. M., et al. (2014). Trends in the parent-report of health care provider-diagnosed and medicated Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: United States, 2003–2011. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 53, 34–46.e32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaac.2013.09.001.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yeh, M., McCabe, K., Hough, R. L., Lau, A., Fakhry, F., & Garland, A. (2005). Why bother with beliefs? Examining relationships between race/ethnicity, parental beliefs about causes of child problems, and mental health service use. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 73, 800–807. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006x.73.5.800.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zong, J., & Batalova, J. (2015). Frequently requested statistics on immigrants and immigration in the United States. Retrieved from http://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/frequently-requested-statistics-immigrants-and-immigration-united-states.