Combination of Natural Laws (Benford’s Law and Zipf’s Law) for Fake News Detection
- 226 Downloads
With the increase in the number of character assassination and fake news recently happening in Nigeria, we combine Zipf’s law and Benford’s law to analyse and detect fake news. The problem of fake news has become one of the most prominent issues in Nigeria recently. In this chapter, the challenges fake news poses to Nigeria is briefly presented. Due to these challenges, we propose the combination of Benford’s law and Zipf’s law in news analysis such that the hybrid of the two laws will obey the Power law for real news and deviate for fake news. We carried out various tests on different real news sources and the result shows that real news obeys the Power law. We, therefore, propose that fake news should not obey the Power law even though we could not test on fake news sources because of the lack of verified fake news dataset.
KeywordsFake news Benford’s law Zipf’s law
The author would like to specially thank Mr. William Waakaa and Mr. Myom Atu for their assistance. Furthermore, the author expresses huge thanks to Prof. Anthony T. S. Ho for his support.
- 2.New England College. How fake news leads to cyber attacks. https://www.newenglandcollegeonline.com/resources/communications/how-fake-news-leads-to-cyber-attacks/2019. Accessed 19 Jan 2019
- 3.New England College (2019) #BeyondFakeNews: Nigerian may start World War III through fake news Soyinka. https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/01/beyondfakenews-nigerian-may-start-world-war-iii-through-fake-news/. Accessed 19 Jan 2019
- 4.Carson J (2019) Will fake news lead to the next cyber war? https://thycotic.com/company/blog/2018/03/16/fake-news-disruption-and-cyber-war/. Accessed 19 Jan 2019
- 5.techcabal.com (2018) Nigeria has a fake news problem its not paying attention to. https://techcabal.com/2018/08/03/nigeria-has-a-fake-news-problem-its-not-paying-attention-to/. Accessed 19 Jan 2019
- 6.guardian.ng (2019) Election: INEC trains staff to detect, counter fake news. https://guardian.ng/news/election-inec-trains-staff-to-detect-counter-fake-news/. Accessed 19 Jan 2019
- 7.premiumtimesng.com (2019) Platform to check fake news launched in Nigeria. https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/298087-platform-to-check-fake-news-launched-in-nigeria.html. Accessed 19 Jan 2019
- 8.Tirunagari S, Abasolo DE, Iorliam A, Ho AT, Poh N (2017) Using benfords law to detect anomalies in electroencephalogram: an application to detecting alzheimers disease. In: 2017 proceedings on IEEE CIBCB, 21 Dec 2017Google Scholar
- 9.Iorliam A, Ho ATS, Waller A, Zhao X (2016) Divergence using benfords law, networks neural, for classification and source identification of biometric images. In: Shi Y, Kim H, Perez-Gonzalez F, Liu F (eds) Digital forensics and watermarking, IWDW (2016), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 10082. Springer, ChamGoogle Scholar
- 10.Iorliam A, Ho ATS, Poh N, Shi YQ (2014) Do biometric images follow Benford’s law? In: 2014 international workshop on biometrics and forensics (IWBF)Google Scholar
- 11.Iorliam A, Ho ATS, Poh N, Tirunari S, Bours P (2015) Data forensic techniques using Benfords law and Zipfs law for keystroke dynamics. In: Conference on international workshop on biometrics and forensics (IWBF 2015), Gjøvik, NorwayGoogle Scholar
- 12.Iorliam A (2016) Application of power laws to biometrics, forensics and network traffic analysis. Doctoral dissertation, University of SurreyGoogle Scholar