Neural Network for Smart Adjustment of Industrial Camera - Study of Deployed Application
Since machine vision is gaining more and more interest lately, it is necessary to deal with correct approaches to visual data acquisition in industry. As a particular part of this complex problematics, a technique for the industrial camera exposure time and image sensor gain tuning is presented in this contribution. In comparison to other approaches, a human expert photographer is used instead of explicitly defined cost function. His knowledge is transformed into an artificial expert system represented by a feedforward neural network. The expert system then provides the suitable exposure time and image sensor gain to gather sharp and balanced images.
KeywordsIndustrial camera Smart camera Auto-exposure Artificial neural network
The work was supported from ERDF/ESF “Cooperation in Applied Research between the University of Pardubice and companies, in the Field of Positioning, Detection and Simulation Technology for Transport Systems (PosiTrans)” (No. CZ.02.1.01/0.0/0.0/17_049/0008394).
- 1.Data file with images (2018). https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326557728_Images_Basler
- 6.ITU-R Recommendation BT.601: Studio encoding parameters of digital television for standard 4:3 and wide screen 16:9 aspect ratios (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Koik, B.T., Ibrahim, H.: A literature survey on blur detection algorithms for digital imaging. In: 2013 1st International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Modelling and Simulation, pp. 272–277 (2013). 10.1109/AIMS.2013.50Google Scholar
- 9.Nguyen, D., Widrow, B.: Improving the learning speed of 2-layer neural networks by choosing initial values of the adaptive weights. pp. 21–26 (1990)Google Scholar
- 10.Ning, J., Lu, T., Liu, L., Guo, L., Jin, X.: The optimization and design of the auto-exposure algorithm based on image entropy. In: 2015 8th International Congress on Image and Signal Processing (CISP), pp. 1020–1025 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1109/CISP.2015.7408029
- 11.Park, S., Kim, G., Jeon, J.: The method of auto exposure control for low-end digital camera. In: 2009 11th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology, vol. 03, pp. 1712–1714 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Pourreza-Shahri, R., Kehtarnavaz, N.: Exposure bracketing via automatic exposure selection. In: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 320–323 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIP.2015.7350812
- 13.Shim, I., Lee, J.Y., Kweon, I.S.: Auto-adjusting camera exposure for outdoor robotics using gradient information. In: 2014 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 1011–1017 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1109/IROS.2014.6942682