The Introduction begins with a description of the Democracy Index’s classification of political systems. Six European countries are discussed in this volume, but only two, the UK and Germany, are considered full democracies. Italy, France, Poland, and Hungary are considered flawed democracies, as is the US. After detailing how this volume came about, we offer a succinct history of right-wing extremism in Europe during the postwar years up to and after the collapse of the Soviet Union. We review how political theorists and other scholars have studied these movements before turning to the anthropological literature. We argue that the “Anthropological Eye” is often lacking in such analyses, and that close ethnographic observation of these movements is most necessary. We conclude with a brief summary of each chapter.
KeywordsAnthropological Eye Brexit Democracy (full, flawed) Nationalism Political cycles Populism Right-wing extremism (in Europe, in the US)
- Arblaster, Anthony. 1987. Democracy. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Bhabha, Homi K. 2004. The Location of Culture. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Carnes, Nicholas, and Noam Lupu. 2017. It’s Time to Bust the Myth: Most Trump Voters Were Not Working Class. The Washington Post, June 5. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/06/05/its-time-to-bust-the-myth-most-trump-voters-were-not-working-class/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.41822f70efa5. Accessed 3 Oct 2017.
- Carrier, James G., and Don Kalb, eds. 2015. Anthropologies of Class: Power, Practice, and Inequality. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Crick, Bernard. 2002. Democracy: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- de la Torre, Carlos, ed. 2014. The Promise and Perils of Populism: Global Perspectives. Lexington: University Press of Kentucky.Google Scholar
- Economist, The. 2017. Declining Trust in Government Is Denting Democracy. The Economist. https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2017/01/25/declining-trust-in-government-is-denting-democracy. Accessed 26 July 2018.
- EIU, Economist Intelligence Unit, The. 2017. Democracy Index 2017: Free Speech Under Attack. Economist Intelligence Unit. http://pages.eiu.com/rs/753-RIQ-438/images/Democracy_Index_2017.pdf?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWkRKbU1HWmxNVEUwTW1FdyIsInQiOiJPdlltVFV0blFRQzZNVERCZHhVeitZRElmUGplOHh3NWs1d2wzVzdRS1JvNU1kVmUxQVRESU9LbEVSOVwvR1F4aG1PV1NlS0ZZcng4NzBcLzVNZ09JOUxiZU5TTEVPekVHayttOTRqQkQ5TkNzWGN08RlowQTZ0UzlUK0pDdm9PVGlcLyJ9. Accessed 3 Oct 2018.
- Fassin, Éric. 2018. Populism Left and Right. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Gellner, Ernest. 1983. Nations and Nationalism. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Gingrich, Andre, and Marcus Banks, eds. 2006. Neo-nationalism in Europe and Beyond. Perspectives from Social Anthropology. New York: Berghahn Books.Google Scholar
- González, Roberto, ed. 2004. Anthropologists in the Public Sphere: Speaking Out on War, Peace, and American Power. Austin: University of Texas Press.Google Scholar
- Hermand, Jost. 1992. Old Dreams of a New Reich: Volkish Utopias and National Socialism. Trans. Paul Levesque and Stefan Soldovieri. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Holmes, Douglas R. 2000. Integral Europe. Fast-Capitalism, Multiculturalism, Neofascism. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Jean, Raspail. 1973. Le Camp des Saints. Paris: Éditions Robert Laffont.Google Scholar
- Judis, John B. 2016. The Populist Explosion: How the Great Recession Transformed American and European Politics. New York: Columbia Global Reports.Google Scholar
- Kalb, Don, and Gábor Halmai, eds. 2011. Headlines of Nation, Subtexts of Class: Working Class Populism and the Return of the Repressed in Neoliberal Europe. New York: Berghahn Books.Google Scholar
- Kaltwasser, Cristobal Rovira, Paul Taggart, Paulina Ochoa Espejo, and Pierre Ostiguy, eds. 2017. The Oxford Handbook of Populism. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Karlis, Nicole. 2018. New Report Classifies US as a Flawed Democracy. Salon. https://www.salon.com/2018/01/31/new-report-classifies-US-as-flawed-democracy. Accessed 26 July 2018.
- Kertzer, David I. 1988. Ritual, Politics, and Power. New Haven: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Kimmage, Michael. 2018. What Happened to the European Union? William Drozdiak’s New Book Charts the Tensions That Have Divided a Continent. https://www.newrepublic.com/article/146524/happened-european-union. Accessed 6 Aug 2018.
- Kubik, Jan. 1994. The Power of Symbols Against the Symbols of Power: The Rise of Solidarity and the Fall of State Socialism in Poland. University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press.Google Scholar
- Kurti, László, and Peter Skalnik, eds. 2011. Postsocialist Europe: Anthropological Perspectives from Home. New York/Oxford: Berghahn.Google Scholar
- Laclau, Ernesto. 2005. On Populist Reason. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Laqueur, Walter. 1996. Fascism: Past, Present, Future. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Merkl, Peter. 1993. Conclusion: A New Lease on Life for the Radical Right? In Encounters with the Contemporary Radical Right, ed. Peter H. Merkl and Leonard Weinberg. Boulder: Westview Press.Google Scholar
- NATO. 2018. NATO’s Purpose. North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Website. https://www.nato.nt/cps/ua/natohq/topics_68144.htm. Accessed 6 Aug 2018.
- Snyder, Timothy. 2018. The Road to Unfreedom: Russia, Europe. America. New York: Tim Duggan Books.Google Scholar
- Spitz-Oener, Alexandra. 2017. The Real Reason the German Labor Market Is Booming. Harvard Business Review. https://hbr.org/2017/03/the-real-reason-the-german-labor-market-is-booming. Accessed 5 Aug 2018.
- Stryker, Rachael, and Roberto González, eds. 2016. Up, Down, and Sideways: Anthropologists Trace the Pathways of Power. New York: Berghahn.Google Scholar
- Vance, J.D. 2016. Hillbilly Elegy: A Memory of a Family and Culture in Crisis. New York: Harper & Row.Google Scholar
- Wike, Richard. 2017. 5 Charts Showing Where France’s National Front Draws Its Support. Fact Tank, April 21. Pew Research Center. http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/04/21/5-charts-showing-where-frances-national-front-draws-its-support/. Accessed 3 Oct 2018.
- Wilentz, Sean. 2005. The Rise of American Democracy: Jefferson to Lincoln. New York: W.W. Norton & Co.Google Scholar