Toward Predictive Maintenance of Walls in Hard Rock Underground Facilities: IoT-Enabled Rock Bolts
The paper addresses the first one-and-a-half cycles, out of four planned, in an action research effort concerned with predictive maintenance of walls and ceilings in tunnels of hard rock underground facilities by using Internet-of-Things-enabled Rock Bolts (IoTeRB). The IoTeRB concept is developed together with a consortium of companies ranging from rock bolt manufacturers, sensor specialists, researchers, and cloud-service providers to data analysts. Thus, the action research effort is a multi-disciplinary endeavor. The result of the paper is an action plan for the second cycle concerning technology and business development which, according to the design criterion, will move the IoTeRB toward commercialization.
KeywordsAvailability Efficiency Intelligent IoT Mining Predictive maintenance Productivity Rock bolts Sustainable Smart rock reinforcement
- 1.Delsing, J. (Ed.). (2017). IoT automation—Arrowhead framework. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- 2.Delsing, J., Eliasson, J., de Venter, J., Derhamy, H., & Varga, P. (2016). Enabling IoT automation using local clouds. In Proceedings of IEEE World Forum on Internet of Things (pp. 501–507), Reston, VA, USA, December 12–14, 2016.Google Scholar
- 3.Mont, O. (2001). Introducing and developing a Product-Service System (PSS) concept in Sweden. In The International Institute for Industrial Environmental Economics (IIIEE). Sweden: Lund University.Google Scholar
- 4.Meier, H., Roy, R., & Seliger, G. (2008). Industrial Product-Service Systems—IPS2, CIRP Annals Manufacturing Technology 2008 (pp 1–24).Google Scholar
- 8.Weber, W., Hoess, A., Oppenheimer, F., Koppenhöefer, B., Vissers, B., & Nordmoen, B. (2015). EMC2 a platform project on embedded microcontrollers in applications of mobility, industry and the internet of things. In Euromicro Conference on Digital System Design (pp. 125–130), Funchal, Portugal, August 2015.Google Scholar
- 9.Productive 4.0, https://www.artemis-emc2.eu/fileadmin/user_upload/Publications/2017_HiPEAC/HiPEAC_2017_EMC2_03_Productive4.0_Knut_Hufeld.pdf. Last accessed on 22-Apr-2017.
- 10.Thompson, A.G., Villaescusa, E., & Windsor, C.R. (1999). Rock support and reinforcement practice in mining. CRC Press. ISBN 9789058090454.Google Scholar
- 11.Eliasson, J., Punal, P., Mäkitaavola, H., & Delsing, J. (2014). A feasibility study of SOA-enabled networked rock bolts. In Proceedings of 2014 IEEE 19th International Conference on Emerging Technologies & Factory Automation (ETFA 2014), Barcelona, Spain, October 2014.Google Scholar
- 12.ThingWave, https://www.thingwave.eu/. Last accessed 22-Jul-2017.
- 13.Han, Z., Weatherley, D., & Puscasu, R. (2015). Application of discrete element method to model crack propagation. In 13th International Congress of Rock Mechanics, Montreal, Canada, May 2015.Google Scholar
- 14.Sule, S. (2016). Predictive maintenance, its implementation and latest trends. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture.Google Scholar
- 15.Gross, J. M. (2002). Fundamentals of preventive maintenance. New York: AMACOM.Google Scholar
- 16.Reason, P., & Bradbury, H. (Eds.). (2001). Handbook of action research: Participative inquiry and practice. London, UK: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- 17.Gummesson, E. (2000). Qualitative methods in management research (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA, USA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- 19.Remenyi, D. (2013). Field methods for academic research: Interviews, focus groups & questionnaires in business and management studies (3rd ed.). Reading, UK: Academic Conferences and Publishing International Limited.Google Scholar
- 20.Patton, M. Q. (1990). Qualitative evaluation and research methods. London, UK: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- 21.Kvale, S., & Brinkmann, S. (2009). InterViews: Learning the craft of qualitative research interviewing. LA, USA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- 22.Fontana, A., & Frey, J. (1994). Interviewing. In N. Denzin & Y. Lincoln (Eds.), Handbook of qualitative research. Thousand Oaks, CA, USA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- 23.Miles, M., & Huberman, M. (1994). An expanded sourcebook—Qualitative data analysis (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA, USA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar