Popular Culture and Representations of Addiction: Understanding Malawi Urban Music in the Narratives of Drugs and Sex
This chapter aims to discuss how urban music fits into the narratives of drug addiction and sex addiction, especially as it relates to young people. The chapter will specifically discuss such narratives in the music of Mafo, who is a ‘celebrated’ producer of urban music, especially among youth. From the early 2000s, a new genre of music commonly called ‘urban music’ started commanding a huge influence among Malawian youth. As of now, it is a celebrated genre with dedicated programmes, concerts that are full of people and celebrated producers. Much as the themes of urban music have been varying, key themes have come to be based on drugs and sex. Urban music has mostly glamorised drugs and sex in its narratives.
- Carnes, P. 2001. Out of the Shadows. Minnesota: Hazelden Information & Edu.Google Scholar
- Chavi, N. 2017. Tay Grin Signs K8 Million Ambassador Deal with Astro. http://www.manaonline.gov.mw/index.php/entertainment/item/6227-tay-signs-k8-million-ambassador-deal-with-astro. Accessed 20 Jun 2018.
- Chirwa, W. 2001. Dancing Towards Dictatorship: Political Songs and Popular Culture in Malawi. Nordic Journal of African Studies 10 (1): 1–27.Google Scholar
- Gondwe, G. 2017. Turning Hymns into Folly Play. https://gregorygondwe.wordpress.com/2017/08/29/turning-hymns-into-folly-play. Accessed 18 Jun 2018.
- Goodman, A. 1998. Sexual Addiction: An Integrated Approach. Madison: International Universities Press.Google Scholar
- Good Shudren. 2015. Tetelitete. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-T9XJs5l0Y. Accessed 11 Jun 2018.
- ———. 2017a. Samalani ma babie anu. https://www.malawi-music.com/G/756-good-shudren-exclusive/3585-samalani-ma-babie-anu/7726-samalani-ma-babie-anu. Accessed 10 Jun 2018.
- ———. 2017b. Sufuna. https://store.malawi-music.com/product/good-shudren-choir-sufuna-prod-struktic-rainne. Accessed 10 Jun 2018.
- Hall, S. 1973. Encoding/Decoding. In Culture, Media, Language: Working Papers in Cultural Studies, 1972–1979. London: Centre for Contemporary Cultural Studies.Google Scholar
- Hilton, M. 2000. Smoking in British Popular Culture 1800–2000. Manchester: Manchester University Press.Google Scholar
- Kumwembe, W. 2017. Fredokiss Is NBS Ambassador. https://www.times.mw/fredokiss-is-nbs-bank-ambassador. Accessed 20 Jun 2018.
- Mafo. 2013a. Zako. https://soundcloud.com/myuziki-pusha. Accessed 15 Jun 2018.
- ———. 2013b. Mowa. https://www.malawi-music.com/M/188-mafo/217-mowa. Accessed 10 Jun 2018.
- ———. 2016. Akandipweteka maluzi. http://www.malawi-music.com/M/188-mafo/1598-akandipweteka-maluzi. Accessed 10 Jun 2018.
- ———. 2017. Bawa. https://m.malawi-music.com/song.php?id=6339. Accessed 10 Jun 2018.
- Mafo & Lantos. 2018. Okondedwa Merchant. http://m.malawi-music.com/song.php?id=9503. Accessed 15 Jun 2018.
- Miller, T. 1998. Technologies of Truth: Cultural Citizenship and the Popular Media. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Mughogho, L. 2017. Urban Music Booming in Mzuzu. https://malawi24.com/2017/09/04/urban-music-booming-mzuzu. Accessed 20 Jun 2018.
- Music in Africa. 2015. Top Artists Promote Safe Sex With ‘Safeguard Young People’ Album. https://www.musicinafrica.net/magazine/top-artists-promote-safe-sex-%E2%80%98safeguard-young-people%E2%80%99-album. Accessed 25 Jul 2018.
- Ndebvu, H. 2017. Discussion on Urban Music. [WhatsApp Message to Author].Google Scholar
- Newell, S., O. Okome, and T. Forster. 2014. Popular Culture in Africa. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Room, R. 2003. The Cultural Framing of Addiction. In Expanding Addiction: Critical Essays, ed. R. Granfield, 1st ed., 42–50. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Storey, J. 2014. Cultural Theory and Popular Culture: An Introduction. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Vail, L., and L. White. 1991. Power and the Praise Poem. Charlottesville: Virginia University.Google Scholar