Laser-Based Localization and Terrain Mapping for Driver Assistance in a City Bus
High costs of labor and personnel training in public transport lead to increased interest in the advanced driver assistance systems for city buses. As buses have to execute precise maneuvers when parking in a limited and cluttered environment, they need accurate localization and reliable terrain perception. We present preliminary results of a project aimed at equipping an electric city bus with localization and terrain mapping capabilities. The approach is based on 3-D laser scanners mounted on the bus. Our system provides the bus pose estimate and elevation map to the motion planning algorithm that in turn provides the human driver with steering suggestions through a human-machine interface.
KeywordsADAS Bus Laser scanner Localization Elevation map
This work was funded by the National Centre for Research and Development grant POIR.04.01.02-00-0081/17.
- 1.Belter, D., Labecki, P., Skrzypczyński, P.: Estimating terrain elevation maps from sparse and uncertain multi-sensor data. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Biomimetics, Guangzhou, pp. 715–722 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Belter, D., Nowicki, M., Skrzypczyński, P., Walas, K., Wietrzykowski, J.: Lightweight RGB-D SLAM system for search and rescue robots. In: Szewczyk, R., et al. (eds.) Progress in Automation, Robotics and Measuring Techniques. AISC, pp. 11–21. Springer, Heidelberg (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Fankhauser, P., Bloesch, M., Gehring, C., Hutter, M., Siegwart, R.: Robot-centric elevation mapping with uncertainty estimates. In: Mobile Service Robotics, pp. 433–440. World Scientific, Singapore (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Geiger, A., Lenz, P., Urtasun, R.: Are we ready for autonomous driving? The KITTI vision benchmark suite. In: Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Rhode Island, pp. 3354–3361 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Levinson, J., Thrun, S.: Robust vehicle localization in urban environments using probabilistic maps. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Anchorage, pp. 4372–4378 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Pfeiffer, D., Franke, U.: Efficient representation of traffic scenes by means of dynamic stixels. In: IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, pp. 217–224. San Diego (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Shan, T., Englot, B., LeGO-LOAM: lightweight and ground-optimized lidar odometry and mapping on variable terrain. In: IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Madrid, pp. 4758–4765 (2018)Google Scholar
- 10.Solaris Bus & Coach. Alternative powertrains, product catalogue (2018)Google Scholar
- 11.Withers, D., Newman, P.: Modelling scene change for large-scale long term laser localisation. In: IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Singapore, pp. 6233–6239 (2017)Google Scholar