VCW for Social Impact in a Developing Country: Personal Development and Entrepreneurship in a Leadership Academy
The Value Creation Wheel (VCW) is a meta-framework that can help to solve both individual (myVCW) and organizational challenges (socialVCW). This case study describes, first at the individual level, the application of the VCW to a set of social entrepreneurship projects driven by young women who wish to become leaders in projects with world impact. It highlights how the benefits brought by the VCW workshops were of great help to solve different challenges associated with individual insecurities and hesitations, helping people to define their value proposition and market approach to fulfill their vocation. Second, at the organizational level, this case explains how the VCW can be used to support social organizations to tackle the challenges of their own targets. The VCW project supported the Leadership Academy Program, promoted by Girl Move Foundation, a social organization operating in the region of Nampula, Mozambique. The goal of the program is to stimulate personal development and encourage women to make life decisions in a developing country. The training and empowerment of young women will foster leadership and entrepreneurship competencies, and consequently will have a social impact. This is an excellent social context in which to apply the VCW, myVCW and socialVCW.
KeywordsVCW myVCW Girl Move Foundation socialVCW Value creation Innovation Personal development Entrepreneurship Social impact Social marketing Co-creation Leadership NGO Employability Developing country BOP countries Mozambique
- Berman, S. L., Wicks, A. C., Kotha, S., & Jones, T. M. (1999). Does stakeholder orientation matter? The relationship between stakeholder management models and firm financial performance. Academy of Management Journal, 42(5), 488–506.Google Scholar
- Bocquenet, G., Chaiban, T., Cook, S., Escudero, P., Franco, A., Romo, C. G., et al. (2016). The state of the world’s children 2016: A fair chance for every child. New York: UNICEF.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2013). Guide to social innovation. European Commission, (February), 71.Google Scholar
- Fonseca, V., Lages, L. F., & Kim, P. (2018). Deimos: Expanding to a new market using the value creation wheel. Case-study BAB370-PDF-ENG. Harvard Business Publishing.Google Scholar
- Gabarro, J. J., & Kotter, J. P. (1980). Managing your boss. Harvard Business Review.Google Scholar
- Goleman, D. (2017). Leadership that gets results (harvard business review classics). Harvard Business Press.Google Scholar
- INE. (2013). Inquérito Demográfico e de Saúde 2011. Calverton, Maryland, USA: MISAU, INE, and ICFI.Google Scholar
- Kotler, P., & Keller, K. L. (2012). Marketing management (14th ed.). UK: Pearson Education.Google Scholar
- Lages, L. F., Fonseca, V., & Paulino, M. (2018). The VCW—Value Creation Wheel: A framework for market selection and global growth. In Advances in global marketing (pp. 253–279). Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- Reis-Marques, C., & Popovic, A. (2016). Managing digitally enabled innovation: A conceptual framework. In 10th European conference on information systems management (pp. 313–316). Évora: Academic Conferences and Publishing International Limited.Google Scholar
- Rogers, E. M. (2003). Diffusion of innovations (5th ed.). New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Service, D. (2016). Where do killer ideas come from? Value loops and UX design strategy. Retrieved March 11, 2018 from https://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2016/11/where-do-killer-ideas-come-from-value-loops-and-ux-design-strategy.php#comments.
- Windsor, D. (2017). Value creation theory: Literature review and theory assessment. In Stakeholder management (pp. 75–100). Emerald Publishing Limited.Google Scholar
- Advanced Program for Leadership and Social Entrepreneurship: http://www.girlmove.org/eng/academy.html.
- How VCW helped to find volunteers for a social organization (socialVCW): https://youtu.be/7j3TOQbFBjc.
- How VCW helped to reinvent a professional career (myVCW): https://youtu.be/FUzfCfNTSV4.
- Value Creation Wheel website: http://www.valuecreationwheel.com/.
- Value Creation Wheel YouTube channel: http://www.openvcw.com.
- VCW Career: How VCW helped an unemployed person to find a job: https://youtu.be/Ze2E7zP5S-8.