“Ey, Homeboy, Ich Bin Kein Hustler”: English Borrowings in German Hip-Hop Songs
The contact between English and German is not a recent phenomenon, yet it is in the last decades that English borrowings have become omnipresent in the German language. It is especially visible in German hip-hop songs, which therefore constitute the subject of this study. The key objective of the article is to assess the degree of integration of the extracted vocabulary, to estimate its frequency of use and to identify its link to African American hip-hop. The analysis has shown that the extracted vocabulary has been well adapted into the German language and that there is a close link between lexical fields in African American hip-hop slang and the vocabulary applied in German hip-hop songs.
- Langenscheidt. (2018). 100% der Jugendsprache 2018 (Deutsch-Englisch). München: Langenscheidt.Google Scholar
- Bravo. (2018, April). 30 Facts über Karol & Ruggero. Bravo 10, p. 10.Google Scholar
- Deutsche Welle. (2018, April 26). The dark side of rap—Is German hip-hop anti-semitic? Retrieved from www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl6fy-475Bo.
- Edwards, P. (2015). The concise guide to hip-hop music. A fresh look at the art of hip-hop, from old-school beats to freestyle rap. New York: St. Martin’s Press.Google Scholar
- Garcarz, M. (2013). African American hip hop slang. A sociolinguistic study of street speech. Wrocław: Oficyna Wydawnicza ATUT.Google Scholar
- Görlach, M. (Ed.). (2004). English in Europe. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Matthews, P. H. (Ed.). (1997). The concise Oxford dictionary of linguistics. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Mitchell, T. (Ed.). (2001). Global noise: Rap and hip hop outside the USA. Middletown, Connecticut: Wesleyan University Press.Google Scholar
- Schroeder-Krohn, D. (2015). Hip hop slang meets printed media. Eine Studie zu Anglizismen in der deutschen Pressesprache von Hip-Hop-Magazinen. Hamburg: Disserta Verlag.Google Scholar
- Thomason-Grey, S., & Kaufman, T. (1991). Language contact, creolization and genetic linguistics. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Verein Deutsche Sprache. Der Anglizismen-Index. (2017). Retrieved from www.vds-ev.de/denglisch-und-anglizismen/anglizismenindex/ueber-den-index.